18

Michael
2:19 P.M.
Detroit

It had been about a year since Nia and I broke up and we still talked to each other pretty often. We were very close despite what happened. Was it awkward? Yes. We had gone from kissing each other to a quick hug every once in a while. I had never moved on.

I could tell Nia was doing better and it made me happy. As for me, I had started culinary school in state. It was very stressful because on top of going to classes I was still working. I was already halfway done with schooling as well.

I had also moved into a new apartment, leaving the old one to Chad if he ever wanted to come back. I needed to be closer to my classes and job.

I got in the car to head to my last class when Nia called me. "Nia pia!" I yelled as a part of our introduction. "Mikey high-key!" she yelled in response. "I missed you. What's up girl?" I smiled. "I have been working on some stuff, but I will tell you about that later. I want to talk to you this weekend," she announced.

I was kind of surprised she wanted to see me. I mean we saw each other at events through Letitia, but this seemed serious. "Michael, you still there?" Nia pomdered.

I came out from my little thinking bubble and said, "Yeah, this weekend sounds good," with a smile. "Okay, see you Saturday at Giovanni's," Nia replied. "Alright, bye," I said. "Bye," she hung up.

* * *

Nia
9:22 P.M.
Giovanni's

I walked into Giovanni's twenty minutes late and saw Michael eating rolls by himself. I quickly walked up to his table and sat down. "Hi, I'm so sorry, my flight got delayed and I ended up landing like an hour ago," I explained. "You're on time, don't worry. I just got here ten minutes ago," Michael assured me.

"So, it's been a while..." I started. Michel nodded before offering me a roll. I picked one up and took a bite. "I wanted to talk to you because I'm in a spot where I feel ready for a relationship. I wanted to let you know that I am a little different and I will be less of a burden, so if you're ready, we can try to learn each other again," I explained. "First, you were not a burden to me ever. Second, I love that confidence just radiates off of you, it makes me so happy. And third, I'm willing to try this again," Michael smiled. I smiled in response to his reply.

Eventually, we ordered our pizza and drinks and talked while we waited. "I heard you got into Culinary School," I said excitedly, jumping in my seat a little bit. "Yes, I did. It's calming to study something I love," he said.

"That sounds great, I'm so happy for you!" I smiled again. "Yeah and what about your music?" Michel asked me. "I'm just waiting for approval from my agency and then I can finally set a release date," Nia said. "Wow, look at you!" Michael smiled.

We were both so hungry that a lot of talking didn't go down at Giovanni's. Once we were done, we paid and got into my car.

Nia and I were just staring at each other in the car. "I missed you, a lot," she said. We leaned into a long kiss. When we both finally pulled away, I started to drive home.

* * *

Nia
11:17 P.M.
Michael's New Apartment

"I love it in here! Makes me want to redecorate my apartment," I looked all around the apartment. "Thank you," Michel put down his keys.

"Make yourself comfortable," Michael pointed to the light grey couch that sat in the middle of the living room. He left for a couple minutes before coming back and sitting next to me.