16

Michael
2:34 A.M.
Nia's Apartment

I was back at Nia's chilling with her after we ate dinner. "I never asked how your shift was," Nia said. "It was okay, I just had to watch over this boy who had tried to commit suicide earlier," I said. "That's heavy," she replied.

"Yeah, it is, but at least I know I'm helping," I said. "Speaking of work, there's take your child to work day next week and this guy is bringing his grandma, so I wanted to know if you wanted to come with me?" I asked.

"Sure," Nia replied. "Really?" I said in disbelief. I wasn't exactly expecting her to say yes. "Yeah, I'll go. Only if you come to my shoot on Saturday," she said. "Alright," I smiled.

We went back to her room. I stood up in front of her room. "You know you can come in a lay down," she said. I came in a laid down. "You know you can come over here and kiss me," I said. She laid down next to me and gave me a little peck before adjusting her body to be on my chest.

"I got a switch, wanna play?" Nia asked. Imposed and she got up to get it. I watched as she picked it up and handed me the remote. "Mario Kart?" she asked. I nodded and she started the game on her tv.She laid next to me as we started the game. "You sure? I'm really good at this," she said.

I looked her straight at her, "Are you sure about that?" I scoffed. "Yup, I'm sure," she pressed play. We played six rounds and I had won five out of all six. "Hah! Who won?" I asked. She pouted and looked over at me, "You cheated," she whined. "Nah, I won fair and square. Admit it," I tickled her.

She started to laugh and squirm. "Okay, okay. You won," she said. "That's what I thought," I stopped tickling her.

* * *

Nia
9:45 A.M.
Michael's Office

I'm here for take your child to work day, but I'm not so much of a child. Nothings really happened yet, but Michael let me know that today we get to spend time with a lot of the foster kids. I sat in his office until he let me know it was time to go down for breakfast.

We grabbed a plate and sat at a table with some older children. Michael told me he would be right back, so I sat there awkwardly while tons of people
stared at me. A boy slid over to me with a big smile on his face. "You fine, I hope nobody snatched you up yet," he said. "Actually-,"

"That's my girl Trey," Michael swooped in. Trey slid back down the cafeteria table and gave Michael a disapproving look.I ate my breakfast while having a conversation with some of the other children about what was going on in their life.

I had to use the restroom, so I went by myself only to see a teenage boy sitting in front of the men's bathroom by himself."Are you okay?" I asked him. "Yeah," he said lowly. I quickly did my business before coming back to make sure he was really okay.

"Hey, I was wondering you wanted to eat with me. I can make you a plate," I offered. "I don't want to sit with those boys," he said. "We can sit in that other corner, by ourselves," I pointed to a corner with some empty tables.

"Okay," he said. He followed me into the cafeteria and I showed him where the food was and helped him make his plate. We walked back to the empty table and sat together. "What's your name?" I asked him. "I'm Jeremiah," he said. "Nice to meet you, I'm Nia," I smiled at him. He stated to eat his food, so I laid off on the conversation for a while.

"Are they staring?" he asked. "Who?" I was confused. "The boys at that table," he pointed to the table I was sitting at before. "Yes, but don't worry about them," I reassured him. "Are you a new case worker? Because you don't look like any staffs child," Jeremiah asked.

I sat up straighter and made direct eye contact with him. "I'm actually neither. I'm Mr. Jordan's girlfriend," I explained. His eyes got wide. "He told you didn't he?" Jeremiah asked. But I had no idea what he was talking about, yet again.I cocked my head to the side and said, "Said what?"
He shook his head and went back to eating.

I saw Michael walking over to me and instantly focused my eyes on him. "Hey," he waved at both of us. He pulled me aside and whispered, "Nia, we have to go. Our time here is up," I looked at Jeremiah. "Jeremiah, we have to go, but I hope to see you later," I said. "Thank you, bye," he smiled.

I smiled back and we went back to Michael's office. "What you did back there was nice," Michael said. I turned to him and smiled. "He was sitting in front of the bathroom alone, I couldn't just leave him there," I explained. "Jeremiah isn't in the best state of mind, he's going through a lot. So, that was nice," I nodded.

* * *

Michael
12:08 P.M.
Nursery

I decided to take Nia down to the nursery to see some babies. There were lots of cute babies around. Nia hadn't really said a word since we got here. There was a nurse holding one of the smaller babies which she offered Nia to hold. "Oh, um, okay," Nia said before taking the baby into her arms.

"Do you come in here a lot?" Nia asked. As soon as I started to talk the baby cried. "He likes singing,"
the nurse said.  "Nia can sing," I smiled. "Uhhhh, what is an age appropriate song for a baby?" she asked me. The nurse and I shared a small chuckle before she said, "Twinkle, Twinkle little star,"

"Okay, um," Nia but her lip as the baby continued to cry.

Twinkle, twinkle, little star/ How I wonder what you are

Nia sang it quietly, but it was enough to stop his little cries.

Up above the world so high/ Like a diamond in the sky

She took a pause and he started to fuss again. "Okay," she said.

Twinkle, twinkle, little star/ How I wonder what you are

"I think he's sleeping," Nia said. I chuckled a little bit and she shot a stare at me. "I'm not good with kids," she whispered. "You're doing good," I assured her. Soon enough, the nurse came in and let us know it was nap time for the nursery.

We walked out and went back to my office were I found paperwork."So, what do you really want to do in life?" Nia asked me. I looked at her with the most confused face ever. "What do you mean?" I put down my papers. "I know you love kids, but I can tell this isn't what you want to do for the rest of your life," she explained.

I sat down in my chair and sighed. "I wanted to be a chef, but it's too late for that,"  I told her. "No it's not," Nia shook her head. "I'm moving from modelling to music, you can be a chef. You're a great cook," she said.

I shook my head, "Okay, I'll think about it," I said.