26

2 months later

Nia
10:27 P.M.
Lounge

"Alright, this next song is a song I have never performed before. It's called There is No Us. I hope y'all enjoy," I said. The crowd cheered and the music started to play.

And I could never be average
Been hell and back and I managed
All in a pretty little package
Yeah, they all know I'm a savage

And I could never be average
Been hell and back and I managed
All in a pretty little package
Yeah, they all know I'm a savage, yeah

Oh, it's that new wave
You all in your feel, feel
On my own ish
Tea to be real, real
You in the stands, I'm in the field, field

And on my demand, blowing up still
I already know things you gon' say
Don't waste my time, no, not today
Said the reason I shine, there'd be no place
And the reason I shine

And I could never be average
Been hell and back and I managed
All in a pretty little package
Yeah, they all know I'm a savage, yeah

And I could never be average
Been hell and back and I managed
All in a pretty little package
Yeah, they all know I'm a savage

* * *

Michael
11:42 P.M.
Lounge

I had finished watching Nia's performance and cheered with everyone else. Nia didn't exactly invite me to this event, so I really should not have been here, but I wanted to support.

I left quickly after the performance was over, in order to get back to my apartment before Nia did. I got back into my apartment, and five minutes later Nia was there.

"How was it?" I asked her. "Please, I know you were there Michael," she said. "So, if I was there by some chance, would I be in trouble?" I asked. "No, I just feel awkward singing around you sometimes," Nia said.

"Well, I think your singing is beautiful," I told her. "Thank you," she smiled. "My mom is having a party this weekend. It's with our whole family. My mom wanted to know if you and your mom would like to come," Nia sat next to me. "I can go, but I'll have to ask my mom," I told her.

"Alright, just let me know," she said.

* * *

8:26 P.M.
Detroit Food Fair

"May I please have four grilled cheeses?" a man asked. "Of course, of course," I handed him the freshly wrapped grilled cheeses. I looked down to see a family, two kids, a husband and a wife. The wife looked to be around my moms age, the kids seemed to be around eighteen and the husband seemed to be a little older than the wife.

The man looked so familiar until I realized, it was my dad. As soon as I noticed him, he seemed to notice me. "Michael," he said with a friendly smile. His wife seemed to recognize my name and she looked up at me.

"Michael, this is my wife, Sandra, and this is my daughter-," I cut him off. "No," I said. "Alright," he said. He led the kids and his surprised wife away from me.