24

10 months later

⚠️ WARNING: CHAPTER TALKS ABOUT SUICIDE

Michael
3:34 A.M.
Social Services

"The kid is out of control Michael, he needs discipline. That's why we're assigning him back to you," my manager said. "He's not out of control, he needs guidance. Discipline will only allow him to spiral," I responded. "Alright Michael, just do whatever you were doing before because it seems to be working," he said.

And a few minutes later, Jeremiah was back in my office. "What did we talk about last time you were here?" I asked him. "Nice tie Mr. Jordan," he said. "Jeremiah!" I scolded him. He put his head down.

"I'm in the system now, like to be fostered. Nobody wants a thirteen year old boy," he explained. "Somebody wants you and they will come, but Jeremiah you have to push yourself in the right direction. I know the situation you are in is difficult, but it's only going to get worse if you don't get these grades up or start working toward being a little more positive. You also need to start taking your prescribed meds. If you feel an urge to attempt again, there's always me. I'm here, you have my personal phone number and can always call," I said.

"Thank you Mr. Jordan," he said. "No problem," I said. "So, where are you going to start?" I asked. "Huh?" he looked confused. "Where are you going to start with fixing your situation?" I repeated. "Getting my schoolwork done and taking my medication," he said. "Alright! That's the Jeremiah I knew!" I smiled. "Stop," he tried to hide his smile. "Don't hide it!" I laughed.

"You still have a girlfriend?" Jeremiah asked. "Yeah, we're doing good," I answered. "Keep her, she was nice," Jeremiah said. "I will," I said. The officer came back in for Jeremiah. "Well bye Mr. Jordan, thank you!" Jeremiah got up. "Anytime Jeremiah," I waved.

* * *

Nia
8:56 P.M.
Her Apartment

"Jeremiah asked about you today," Michael said. I played with his grown out fro as he laid his head in my lap. "Really? How is he?" I asked. "He's okay, you know. We are going to work on it," he said.

"That's good," I said. "And guess what?" Michael asked. "What?" I replied. "I put in an offer for a food truck," he said. "You did? Congratulations!" I said. "I can't wait!" he said.

"So when do you plan to be up and running?" I asked. "Within the next two months. I applied to show at different events around Detroit," he said. "Okay, okay. I'm gonna have to show up Mr. Chef," I chuckled. "Okay Ms. Superstar," he said. "Not yet, in a couple weeks when I quit from working with Avalon," I held my finger up.

* * *
2 weeks later

Michael
8:34 A.M.
Nia's Apartment

"You ready?" I asked Nia. She nodded her head and yawned as I took the small duffel bag from her. We were on our way to pick up my truck and bring it to my moms to park it.

I moved apartments sometime ago. A little far from my mom, but closer to the city. We would just be staying the night at her house. We headed down to my moms first where I dropped off Nia.

* * *

Nia
10:30 A.M.
Michael's Mom's House

"It is so nice to see you," she hugged me. "You too, it's been so long," I hugged her back. "I was just hanging out on the couch, would you like something to eat?" she asked. "Yes please," I replied. "Okay, I'll be in the kitchen, feel free to roam," she said. "Let me know if you need help," I offered. "I will," she left. I walked around the living room to see different baby pictures of Michael.