27

Nia
10:32 P.M.
Studio

I've been on a wave all night and day
Trying to feel a broken high
Take another one to numb the pain
I can't lie, I love the ride

"Can you come in a little bit higher at the beginning?" my new producer, James, asked. "Wait, you just told me to go lower a second ago," I said. "But I like it better with the higher notes, so do that again," he said. "Alright," I started again.

I've been on a wave all night and day
Trying to feel a broken high
Take another one to numb the pain
I can't lie, I love the ride

"Actually do it lower," he stopped the music again. "Bro we can't keep doing this," I sighed. "Then take five and let's get to it," he said.

I took my five minute break to take a breather. This producer did not want me to have any creative input in my songs at all. That's not what I was about. But because it was Anthony's friend, I decided to give it one more try.

"Okay, I'm ready," I got back in the booth. "Alright, remember we're doing it higher this time," he said. I nodded and started off high and he finally didn't stop me.

I gotta get away from this
Another day and I might go insane

I just wanna breathe
Sometimes I just wanna get away, yeah
Breathe
Find a place to hide away, yeah
Breathe
Sometimes I just wanna get away, yeah
Breathe
Breathe

"Alright, that was amazing!" James clapped. "Thank you," I said. "I just want to bring out the best in you, alright. So when I push you like that it's to get the best," he explained.

"Thank you James," I grabbed my belongings and left.

I had done a couple shows and got my music out. But now I wanted to do something different to attract different audiences. Maybe this would pull people in a little more.

"Nia!" someone called as soon as I had walked out of the building. I looked over to see Shana, my old assistant. "Hey Shana!" I waved. She motioned for me to come over and I did. "Hey, I wanted to make an offer to be your manager," she said.

"Uh, that's a lot of work. And I have streams, but I don't have enough traction to pay you. Plus you work for Avalon," I explained. "I quit at Avalon and you don't have to pay me now," she said.

"Let me think about it, I'll call you!" I walked to my car.

* * *

Michael
10:48 P.M.
Jordan's Joys

"I need you to cook one more cheeseburger for me Jeremiah," I said. "Alright," Jeremiah started to work on the grill. Jeremiah would work with me and help out around the food truck for some money so he could go out and buy whatever he wanted.

Though, he insisted on saving the money for his own place in the future. Soon enough, a woman came up to the truck. "Sorry ma'am we only have cheeseburgers, everything else is out for today," I told her. "I'm actually just looking for you. You are Michael, right?" she asked. "Yes," I replied.

"Do you mind talking to me for just five minutes?" she asked. "Okay," I came down the back of my truck and went to sit with her. "I'm you dads wife-," I stopped her. "That's what we are not going to do, that. You are probably going to ask me to have a relationship with your kids, which I really do not want right now, okay. I'm still trying to work out the trauma of the last 14 years with my dad . I don't need an apology and in the most respectful way I don't give two fucks about your kids," I said.