50

* * *
Three Weeks Later

Nia
8:38 A.M.
Houston

"Okay, Michael and I are going to be going to bugs doctors appointment and then we're getting something to eat. We'll bring you back something. I left a list of chores for you and please let us know if you're leaving or inviting anyone over," I explained to Jeremiah. "Okay, see you later," he said. I left his room and walked out the house, locked the door, and got in the car where Michael was waiting.

"Ready to go see bug?" he asked. "Yeah," I put my seatbelt on. Michael pulled out the driveway and drove all the way to my obgyn. We went inside, checked in, and got called back. "Hello," the doctor came in and washed her hands. "Hello," Michael and I replied. "How are you doing mom?" she asked.

"Good. Really sick so I haven't been able to keep much down except for rice cakes and instant noodles," I said as I laid down and rolled my shirt up. "That's normal but if it doesn't clear up by about 12 to 14 weeks, I recommend you come back and talk to us," she explained as she turned off the water and dried her hands.

"Good to know, thank you," I told her. "No problem," she pulled out the gel and put it on my stomach. "Okay, let's see baby," she put the wand on my stomach. Michael and I looked at the projected image across from us and it was then that I realized we had been holding hands the whole time. "Alright there's baby," she said. Michael squeezed my hand as we looked at our baby.

"So when will we know the gender?" Michael asked. "Next month when you come back," the doctor answered. "Alright, well everything looks healthy. I'll get some pictures for you guys and I'll see you next month," she smiled. "Thank you," I said.

* * *

Michael
11:52 A.M.
Restaurant

"How are we telling our parents you're pregnant? We leave in two days," I asked.  "I was thinking we could make little gift bags and put onesies in them for everyone," Nia explained while taking a bite of a sweet potato fry. "UGH, these are so good. So glad I can actually keep these down," she continued. I smiled at her antics. "Sounds like a good idea," I took a bite of my breakfast sandwich.

* * *
Two Days Later

Nia
9:03 A.M.
Detroit

"Merry Christmas Eve Mom!" I smiled as I walked into the house with my suitcase. "Oh, Nia, I missed you," she hugged me. I hugged her back and replied with the same exact thing. A few minutes later, Jeremiah and Michael came in with our heavier bags and took them up to our room.

My dad came out of his study to greet us when they came back downstairs. "Hey! Merry Christmas Eve!" he smiled and gave each one of us a hug. "Letitia and John should be here soon. They're spending the night," my mom said. "Sounds good," I replied. Soon enough, Mama J walked out of her room.

She looked rough. Michael had said she was upset over his fathers death but it looked like it was still affecting her. "Hi Mom," Michael started. Or at least tried to. "Boy, be quiet," she said sternly as she walked past him. "Hi Nia, hi Jeremiah," she offered a slight smile. "Hello," Jeremiah and I replied in unison.

I pat Michael on the back and led the two of them upstairs to get settled. While Michael showered, I threw the gift bags together for tomorrow and put them under the tree as well as the other presents we had bought. While I was putting them down, Letitia came up behind me. "That's a lot of presents," she said. "Yeah, um. One of them is a surprise for everyone," I explained.

"John and I have a surprise for everyone tomorrow morning," she told me. "What is it?" I whispered. "You'll just have to find out like the rest of us," she laughed. I put my hand over my heart, "I thought we were sisters," I wiped a fake tear. "I want to tell you so bad but it'll just come out tomorrow," she nodded. "Okay," I nodded.