47

* * *
3 months later

Michael
2:25 P.M.
Houston

We had officially been trying for a baby for five months and I think we were both losing it. Nia started taking modelling jobs a month ago even though she hates them. I feel like I'm slowly losing my wife. She's gone as soon as I wake up and comes home late from shoots and if she is home we just have sex. Jeremiah has been missing her like crazy and so do I.

I decided I would call her. It rang four times before she answered "What's up Mikey? I'm at a shoot," she answered. "Wow, not even a hello? We need to talk later," I hung up. "Can we do this later?" Nia asked. "Yeah, okay," I hung up. So I went out to the restaurant and came back home late to find Nia already on the couch.

"I didn't know you'd be home already," I told her. "I didn't know you would be gone," Nia replied. I decided to just jump into it. "Nia, why are you doing this to yourself? You hate modelling and you're forcing yourself to go through this," I asked her. "Michael, I don't want to think about it," Nia put her head in her hands. "Is this about the baby?" I asked her.

"Michael-," she started. I shook my head, "No, no stupid excuses. We are married, you either decide you want to tell me what's going on or you tell me you need time," I argued. "YES! It's about the baby, I don't want to think about it! So, I've just been working, okay? Is that what you wanted?" she said as tears fell from her eyes.

I went to wipe them but she turned her head away from me. "Don't worry about it, we could conceive soon," I told her. "Five months Michael, five!" Nia argued. "Everything happens for a reason, maybe it's not our time," I told her. She started to cry harder so I rubbed her back. "It's okay. The doctor said this is normal," I continued.

"I miss you Nia, I want you home more," I leaned over and kissed her cheek. "I miss you too Mikey," she laid her head in my lap. I massaged her head until she fell asleep and I carried her to bed. "I love you," I whispered and kissed her forehead. I laid down on my side of the bed and went to sleep.

* * *

3:33 A.M.
Houston

"Nia, are you sure you want me to go to work in the morning?" I asked her. She nodded almost instantly. After we went to sleep last night, she woke up at one feeling sick. She was sweaty and felt nauseous. So I helped her take a shower, get changed, and she still felt bad. So, I gave her some ramen and here we were. "I'm sorry you feel like this, did you eat something at the shoot yesterday? Maybe you have food poisoning," I suggested.

"I had some vegetables off a vegetable tray," Nia breathed out. "Okay, okay. Maybe it was that," I nodded. I rubbed her head and eventually she went to sleep. But it was time for me to go to work. Some guys called out so I had to go in early and prep. "I love you," I kissed her forehead. "I love you too," she replied. "Go back to sleep, okay?" I kissed her again. "Okay," she replied.

So she went back to sleep and I went off to work.

* * *

Nia
11:11 A.M.
Houston

"I know I don't have a cold mom. I'm just really
nauseous and lightheaded. I haven't been able to keep anything down for the last hour," I complained. "Aw, I wish I could be there. But please try to keep some saltines down or drink ginger ale," she suggested. "Mom, ginger ale isn't going to help," I told her. "Just try it Nia," my mom replied.

"Okay I will," I nodded. "I just don't understand what caused it. Michael said it might have been the carrots I had at the shoot yesterday but I don't think that's it," I continued. "Maybe it's something else," my mom added. "Like what?" I asked her. "Maybe you're pregnant," she suggested.