44

Nia
10:31 A.M.
Airport

"Are you leaving because of me?" Michael finally asked as he helped me take my suitcase out. "No, I just need to be with my family. I never really realized it until today, but I'm homesick," I told him. I could see the worry in his eyes leave straight away. I gave him a quick kiss and a hug before walking into the airport with my suitcase.

A four hour plane ride later and an Uber ride to Letitia's apartment, she opened the door looking sad. Her and John's apartment wasn't as organized and she didn't seem like herself. She let me in and as soon as the door shut she hugged me and cried. I cried too, I hadn't seen her in so long and coming back to see her like this hurt, a lot.

"Hey, let's sit down," I led her to the couch. We sat down and I wiped her tears. "Okay, let's start with the root of this, John," I said. "So um John and I agreed to take a break and work on ourselves which really just turned into us messing around. So now we just, you know, and then he goes to work," Letitia explained. "And you don't want this messing around?" I asked her.

"I just want stability. It's hard getting an apartment now and I'm stuck here with him and I'm not organized. It's a mess, I'm barely doing my work. I have clients. I don't want to talk to mom and dad and my only sister left," Letitia stressed. "Okay, let's put a stop to the messing around, if you're supposed to be on a break, stop, that's not a break. But for now, I will help you clean and sort out your work," I told her.

She nodded her head so we started our cleaning which took about three hours but we finally got to sit down. Then, I helped Letitia make calls for her business. My stomach started to growl, I didn't even get a chance to eat all day. "Mom and dad are having dinner tonight," Letitia said. I looked at her and nodded in agreement.

* * *

6:12 P.M.
Parents House

"Nia! You're home! Oh, my baby!" my mom hugged me. I hugged her back as she kissed the top of my forehead. My dad came to the door and gave me a hug. "What brings you back?" he asked. I glanced at
Letitia for approval but she lightly shook her head. "I just needed you guys. I miss you when I'm out there," that was not completely untrue.

"Okay, well come in. We have food," my mom smiled. I sat down at the dinner table and the three of them did as well. I went to grab the food when my mom stopped me. "We're waiting," she said. Just then, Michael's mom walked in and she was just as surprised to see me as I was to see her.

"Hi Mama," I smiled. "Nia," she nodded. "Is everything okay between you two?" Letitia whispered. I glanced at her quickly. We started on dinner and it was quiet at the beginning. "So, Nia, how's Michael and Jeremiah? We miss them," my mom said.

"Uh, they're good. Jeremiah's in football, he really likes that. He has some friends and we're trying to convince him to join some clubs, but he hasn't got back to me yet," I explained. "That's good!" my mom smiled. "And what about Michael?" my dad asked. It was obvious he wasn't aware of what went on last night.

"Michael is good, you know he works. The food truck is starting to do really well and he's hoping to open a restaurant soon," I told them. "So newlywed life is treating you well?" my mom asked. "So good," I smiled. "Well, Ms. Jordan here is living with us," my mom said. "Really? So you took up on the offer," I smiled. "Well I'm not getting any younger and the company is nice," Mrs. Jordan said.

"We're planning a trip to Aruba next year. We would love for you and Michael to tag along," my mom said. "Just send us the details," I smiled. "I'll do that tonight," my mom smiled.

For the rest of dinner, I ate and zoned out. Letitia and I were about to leave when I decided to talk to Ms. Jordan. "Hey Mama, how are you?" I asked her. "I'm good Nia, you?" she said, not even looking at her. "I just wanted to apologize if you ever felt like Michael and I lied to you. Our intentions were not to hurt you, we love you and we hope you can forgive us," I told her.

"Thank you Nia, I'll speak to you later," she said. "Okay," I walked back over to Letitia, who was at the front door, and left. "I'm gonna tell John tonight, please stay with me," Letitia said. "I'm literally staying at your apartment, where else would I be?" I chickened.

* * *

9:22 P.M.
John's Apartment

"Nia? You're back?" John smiled. "Yeah John, I'm back," I got up and we gave each other a hug. I sat back down next to Letitia and John sat next to her. "John, I need to talk to you," Letitia told him. "Okay," he said. "I think we should really take a break. I don't want to do this situationship thing with you if we're supposed to be on a break," Letitia explained.

"Um, okay, that's fine," John said. "That's it? That's fine?" Letitia asked. "Yes Letitia. You said you wanted a break and I'll admit we haven't given that to each other, so you're right. We should stop the situationship thing," John nodded. Letitia got up and quickly went to their room, closing the door behind her.

"She loves hard John," I told him. "I think I'd know how my wife operates- shit, I did not just say that," John shook his head. "You got married?" I asked him. "Yeah, um on our second date. We've been married for a while. It's really just a title to us. You're the first to know," I smiled.

"Do you still love my sister?" I asked. John nodded right away, "I think we just need some time apart but I'm fully invested in this," John said. "I asked if you love my sister," I repeated. "Of course I do Nia," John replied. "Okay, well I need to talk to her, one second," I got up and went back to their room.

Her body was balled up and I could hear her sniffles. "I know you married him. I'm sorry this is happening, but would it hurt to move back in with mom and dad? I would love you for you to move in with me but you would be too far from work," I explained.

I laid down and cuddled her as she cried. "If it makes you feel any better, I'm probably laying in the very spot you had sex," I joked. "No you sat there earlier," Letitia laughed. "So you two got freaky on the couch and let me sit there," I chuckled. Letitia wiped her face and sat up. "Maybe I should do some work,"
she suggested. "Let me help you then," I replied.

* * *

6:31 A.M.
John's Apartment

Ring. Ring. Ring. I woke up tot he sound of my phone ringing and quickly answered it. "Good Morning Nia," Jeremiah's voice came through. "Oh Jem! I miss you," I said groggily. "Sorry if I woke you up. I just wanted to say Good Morning before I go to school," Jeremiah said. "Don't worry about that. Good Morning. Have an amazing day at school and do well at your game tonight. I wish I could be there," I told him.

Letitia started to stir next to me. We fell asleep after spending hours doing work. "Me too, tell everyone I said hi," he said. "I will, tell Michael I said hi and that I'll call him later," I told Jeremiah. "Oh why don't you just say hi now," Jeremiah said. "Hey my love, wassup?" he asked in his handsome morning voice.

"I'm good, what's up with you?" I asked him. "Not much, about to take Jeremiah to school, work on restaurant prep plans, and hopefully speak to you some more later," Michael chuckled. "That sounds great, I miss you two. I'll talk to you later," I told Michael. "I love you, bye," Michael said. "I love you Mikey, bye," I hung up.

* * *

11:34 A.M.
John's Apartment

"How are you feeling?" I asked Letitia. "I'm feeling better," Letitia smiled. "That's what I like to hear," I smiled back. "Thank you for coming Nia. I don't know if I could have done this without you," she hugged me. "Anytime sis, I love you," I kissed her forehead. "I love you too," she replied.

And there I was, putting people back together again.