29

1 week later

Nia
10:42 A.M.
Courthouse

"You know I hate the idea of this," Ms. Jordan fixed the top of my hair. "I know and I'm so sorry for the short notice, but we're so ready to commit to each other," I explained.

"I know. I am so happy for you two," she said. My mom finally rushed into the room. "Are you crazy? Planning a weeding last minute in the courthouse!" my mom stressed. "Sorry mom! I love you," I offered a smile.

"My little girl is getting married," she hugged me. I bought a simple satin gown because I thought it reflected my personality. Michael and I were going to elope but we decided that having our families there was a good idea.

Everybody dressed up and got ready for this event. I found myself looking in the mirror at my dress and not being able to imagine that this was happening. My dad and Letitia were the last ones to walk in. "Are you ready?" my dad asked. "I am," I said with the utmost confidence. "That's what I like to hear," he smiled.

"My sister is getting married! Does that mean I will be an auntie soon?" Letitia asked. "No," everybody replied at the same time. "Oh so nobody wants me to be an aunt?" she asked. "Maybe one day," I said.

Chad then walked in with little Leah. "Is that Madeleine's kid?" Letitia whispered to me. "Yes and Chad is the father," I said. Letitia's eyes got wide. "She's so cute," Letitia swooned.

"Take her. I have been carrying her all morning," Chad handed the small child over. Letitia took the baby and bounced her around. "Is Michael coming?" I asked Chad. "Yeah. You have to see it. Michael is a nervous wreck and John is giving him a motivational speech," Chad laughed.

"Wait, John is here?" I asked. "Why wouldn't he be?" Letitia asked. "I just thought he was mad at me," I smiled. "As much as he may seem upset, he loves you," Letitia said.

Just then, the court officiant walked in and a few minutes later, there was Michael, John, and Jeremiah behind him. He was wearing a beautiful black suit with an ivory tie almost matching my dress. "Alright, let's get started," the officiant said.

"You look so beautiful," he whispered. "And you look very handsome," I responded.

"Alright so, Nia and Michael, today you enter as individuals, but you will leave here as husband and wife, blending your lives, expanding your family ties, and embarking upon the grandest adventure of human interaction. The story of your life together is still yours to write. All those present have come to witness and celebrate your love and commitment this day - eager to a part of the story not yet told," the officiant started.

I started to tear up at the sound of those words, everything was just so overwhelming. Michael took my hands into his, causing me to look straight at him. "You ok?" he mouthed to me. "Yes," I mouthed back.

"...remind yourselves often of what brought you together. Take responsibility for making the other feel safe, and give the highest priority to the tenderness, gentleness and kindness that your connection deserves," the officiant continued. Michael and I were both in our own worlds, staring at each other until the officiant's change in tone brought us back together.

"Alright time for vows, repeat after me..." the officiant started again. "I Michael," the officiant continued. "I Michael," Michael started. "Take you Nia Taylor," the officiant said. "Take you Nia Taylor," Michael continued. "To be my wife," the officiant continued. "To be my wife," Michael continued. "My partner in life and one true love," the officiant continued. "My partner in life and one true love," Michael repeated.

I could see Michael's eyes getting teary. "I will cherish our union and love you more each day than I did the day before," the officiant continued. "I will cherish our union and love you more each day than I did the day before," Michael wiped my tears. "Don't ruin your makeup," he mouthed. I chuckled in response before the officiant started again.