20

Nia
12:31 P.M.
Donna's House

"Hey!" I said as Michael's mom opened the door. "Hi, thanks for coming," she let me in and closed the door behind me. Michael's mom had hit me up last week asking for me to meet her. I had no idea why but I agreed.

She sat us down at the dining room table. There were two glasses of water placed down across from each other, she sat at one and I sat at the other. "I did not really get to know you over Christmas dinner and I apologize for the situation," she offered me a smile. "No need to apologize, if anyone understands, it's me," I smiled in response.

"A little birdie told me you like to sing," she said. "Yeah, it's my passion. Modeling is kind of a side thing right now," I explained to her.

We continued to talk for the next hour until Michael came barging in. "The results!" he held up an envelope. "Okay, let's open it," Michael's mom said. Michael opened it slowly and as soon as he looked at the result, he looked like he had seen a ghost.

"I am the father," he breathed out. I was now looking down nervously but I knew Michael was looking at me. "Well you have a daughter now," Donna said. "I have a daughter," he said in disbelief.

It didn't take long before he called Madeleine about the results. Michael and his mom started to look at pictures of her and I decided to slip out before they could notice.

I got in my car, drove off, and stopped at a gas station a few miles away. I sat on my car and cried. It was like I could not have anything good in life, the second I bad something it was smashed into pieces. I couldn't be a stepmom.

I cried for an hour before deciding to go home. When I got home, I looked at the pictures of him in my phone for a while later. I cried and cried some more.

Then, I just started to write.

* * *

Michael
1:17 P.M.
Mom's House

"Nia!" I yelled. "Nia!" my mom yelled. I looked out the font window to see her car was gone. She must have slipped out when she heard the results. This was a dividing factor in our relationship, but I wanted to have one last moment.

"She's gone mom," I told her sadly. She looked at me with a very sad expression, "I'm so sorry," she said

Chad started to call me which distracted me. "I answered, "Chad, wassup?" I said. "Michael, there's something seriously wrong with these results. In the letter I got today it says I am 99.9% not the father but in the emailed document of the same letter it says I am the father," he panicked. "Let me open my email real quick," I told him.

I signed into my email on my phone and sure enough in the inbox it said I was negative. "It says I am not the father in the email but the letter says I am," I said.

"I'll call the company who did the test back and find out," Chad hung up. "Okay, so the baby might not be mine," I turned towards my mom and said. "This is a mess," she walked away.

* * *

Nia
8:34 P.M.
Studio

"Nia you have been sitting in front of the speaker for five hours daydreaming, are. you going to sing?" Anthony asked me. "Yeah, sorry," I snapped out of it.

Anthony hit play and I started to sing. For about five minutes I sang all while attempting not to cry. By the end, Anthony was clapping for me. "I could feel the heartbreak in that song, are you okay?" he asked. "No, but I will be. I always am," I replied.