14

Nia
12:03 P.M.
Her Apartment

"What?!" I exclaimed. "John and I are leaving for Canada tomorrow," Letitia repeated.

We had just came out from talking to the police officers. "You're not testifying with me?" I asked.

"I can't handle this Nia. I'm so appreciative of what you've done for me and how you protected me, but that still doesn't take the trauma of what happened," she argued."Running away from your problems doesn't help either," I said. She shot me a disapproving look I had never seen.

"I leave tonight," she said before walking to her car.

* * *

2:26 P.M.
Parents Crib

"You're letting her leave!" I said to my dad. "Honey, her apartment was broken into and she saw two dead bodies, I don't think you'd want to stay either," my dad said. "I don't want to lose her, please," I started to tear up. "Is this about what happened years ago?" he asked.

"I don't think Letitia understands how much I appreciate her. She was almost taken away from
me as a child and she might not remember, but I do," I went on. "I might not remember what?" Letitia walked in. My mom, dad, and I looked at each other before looking away from her.

"What are you not telling me?" she asked sternly. "Tell her," mom said.

I sat Letitia down next to me and looked straight at her. "When you were two and I was five, we were in a grocery store and you had run off and all of us were looking for you. Well, since I was shorter I saw a man holding you under a table in the store. I pointed it out to mom and dad and the man tried to run off with you. I got so scared that I used my feet to
trip the man and get you back. I never let you go since that day because you're my little sister and I don't want that to ever happen again," I explained.

"Thanks for saving me. But, I'm not that little girl anymore, I grew up," she said. "I know," I said. She got up, grabbed her suitcase and walked towards the door. "I'm gonna stay at John's until we're ready to leave," Letitia stated.

"Love you guys," she said before walking out the door and driving off. Welp, there goes my relationship with my sister.

John
6:34 P.M.
His Apartment

"Are you sure you want to leave?" I asked Letitia. She looked over at me and nodded. "What's causing you to be in such a rush to leave?" I asked her. "I know who's after me John, I just can't stay," she said. "Who's is after you?" I was so confused. "It's Madeleine, she sent those men," I said.

"For you?" I asked. "I think so," she said. "Why are we moving to a different country? I can protect you," I said. "I need to go," Letitia said. "You don't," I raised my voice. "What?" she suit her eyes at me.

"You're leaving everything you've ever known because of one person. You're going to allow Nia to testify by herself and you know how she is, if she doesn't have support she's gonna back out," I explained. "But-," she started. "Just think about it please," he said.

* * *

Nia
7:12 P.M.
Her Apartment

Michael and I are having a mini date night at my house tonight for a little fun. I was laying on his chest yet again. "How'd it go with your sister?" he asked. "She's still leaving," I said. "Well, at least you tried," I said. "Do you think Chad will ever settle down?" I asked Michael, trying to change the subject.

"I don't know, I've never seen Chad in a relationship. He talks to girls a lot, but it never gets serious," Michael said. We went back to watching the movie and I got tired very quickly and fell asleep.

* * *

I woke up the next morning to see Michael rushing around my room. "Why's are you up so early?"
I asked.

"I have to go to the gym and work. I made some pancakes with some raspberry syrup if you get hungry.

"Alright, thank you," I said. He pecked my lips before running out of my apartment.

As soon as he was gone, I got up and got ready. I felt like getting a little cute today so I did some light makeup and putting on some sweats and a zip up.

 I felt like getting a little cute today so I did some light makeup and putting on some sweats and a zip up

I warmed up the pancakes Michael had made and they smelled delicious. I poured the raspberry syrup on top and ate it.

I had never tasted his cooking before, but these pancakes were good.

* * *

Letitia
8:03 A.M.
Nia's Apartment

I sat in front of Nia's apartment. I didn't know whether to knock or not because of how I had treated her earlier. Suddenly, the door swung open and I was met with Nia's face.

"You're supposed to be gone," she said. "I know, but John convinced me not to leave because you were right, I can't just run away from this," I explained.
Nia came out, closed her door, and locked it. "Well, thanks for realizing," she said. "Where are you off to?" I asked.

"My agency," she answered and walked all the way down to the elevator without looking back.

* * *

Michael
10:51 A.M.
His Apartment

"Happy Birthday Michael!" Nia yelled into the phone. "Thank you," I replied. "Are you celebrating today?" Nia asked. "I have work, so not really. But I'm not a party person," he said. "How about we have dinner tonight? Just the two of us if that's okay," Nia asked. "Yeah of course. I will see you at seven," I told her.

* * *

8:12 P.M.
The Whitney

"Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday dear Michael! Happy Birthday to you!" the employees brought me a slice of cake with a candle. "Thank you!" I smiled and blew out my candle.

"Have a great birthday from the Whitney!" one employee said. "Thank you!" I repeated. The employees left and I took a bite of my cake. "You did all of this for me?" I asked Nia. "Yeah of course! And I have one more surprise," she handed me a bag.

I opened the bag to see a bunch of different cooking tools. "Thank you so much Nia," I gave her a quick peck.