22

Michael
11:04 A.M.
His Apartment

"Hi," I opened the door. "Hi Michael, should I come in? We can do this outside," my dad asked. "Come in," I opened the door wider. I watched him as his eyes scanned around my apartment.

"We can sit down at the dining room table," I led him over to a small white table in the kitchen. We both say before turning to look at each other. "I want to first say that I'm sorry. I know I know I have been such a bad father all of your life and I'm hoping to mend that. I know we won't have the relationship that we could have had but maybe we could fix things," he explained.

"I hope my mom is getting this same apology because she went through the abuse for me. She knew if she didn't let the verbal abuse happen to her it would be me so she took the fall," I said sternly. "I've apologized to your mom numerous times and although I know that doesn't fix this, I am still trying," he said.

"Well, I don't owe you any of this. But, I am a therapist with social services and I'm currently getting my culinary degree so I can advance in that field," I explained. "Wow, I am so proud of you," he smiled.

"Yeah. How about you?" I asked him. "I am married to a woman, her name is Cynthia. We have two kids together, they're your half-siblings," he said. "I just don't think I'm ready for that," I replied. "Understandable," my dad said.

He scanned the room once more until he stopped to focus on something. "That picture over there of you and that girl, she looks familiar," he pointed to a picture of Nia. "You yelled at her and told she looks like her mom, at our Christmas dinner," he said. "Oh yeah, she does look like Naomi," he said.

"Yeah, she's my girlfriend," I told him. He raised an eyebrow at me. "Well I'm sorry to her too, I apologize for my reckless behavior," he replied. "I actually have a big exam for culinary in an hour, so I'll have to get back with you later," I told him. "Oh okay, well it was nice seeing you," he got up and walked to the door.

"Yeah," I let him walk out.

* * *

Nia
2:47 P.M.
Culinary School

I had just came from another shoot and was waiting outside of Michaels exam for him. I brought him some lunch and a new apron. When he finally walked out a couple of minutes later with a sad expression.

When he finally got in the car he sat sadly in his seat and said nothing. "Oh, it went bad? I am so sorry," I said. "No! I'm just kidding! I passed," Michael showed me the results excitedly. "Yes!" I gave him a hug.

"I really have a culinary degree now," Michael said in disbelief. "I knew you could do it, I'm so proud of you Mike," I said. "Thank you, Nia. Because without you I would still be pursuing something I don't fully love," he pecked me. "It was not all me, you put the work in and look where you are," I reminded him.

It got quiet for a couple of minutes. "I brought food for you," I said. "Thank you!"he picked up his tray of food. "And one more thing," I picked up a box from the back and handed it him. "Oh, whats this now?" he asked. "It's a small gift, nothing special," I chuckled. Michael hesitantly opened the box.

"A new apron! Thank you! I love it baby and it's in my favorite, baby blue," Michael kissed me. "No problem. It's the least I could do," I replied.

* * *

Michael
3:57 P.M.
His Apartment

"You record any music today?" Michael asked me.  "No, just a shoot," I said. "Did it go well?" he asked. "Yeah, it was cool. But, my next shoot is lingerie and I wasn't sure if I should do that one," I waited for a reaction. "If it makes you feel happy and comfortable, then do it," he said.