89. Language Barrier You See

_____________________________

.

.

.

The kids were squealing with joy as soon as they saw their father make his way towards him.

"Hey my bambini, what are you both up to?" Mateo asked as he squatted down in front of the pool while George and Davis pushed their floaties towards him.

"We are learning to swim, Papa." Kiara giggled. The giggle which once made his whole day brighter now caused his heart to throb. His little girl was hurt.

"Alright, I think we will take it from here." River appeared with a grin on her face. "Thank you, boys."

Mateo looked up to see that she was in a swimming suit, with his baby blue shirt as cover-ups. He gulped.

And then he quickly turned to the bodyguards. "Leave."

The three men scurried off the pool as fast as they could, making sure that they didn't even look at the Capo's girlfriend even by accident.

"Are you going to get in the water in those?" She asked as she slipped out of his shirt, revealing a black two piece.

He let out a deep breath. This woman really was going to be the death of him.

"Yeah Papa, let's play in the pool!" Lucas was splashing water around and as usual, if one twin did something, the other one followed, and so now they had both the twins splashing water at them and at each other.

"Alright alright. Calm down, won't you?" River was immediately in the water, holding on to the floaties, fearing that they will fall off the structures amidst all the motion.

"I will be back in a moment." He said and got back on his feet, jogging towards their bedroom because he didn't want to miss even a moment he had with his family.

.

.

.

"Mateo, what are you doing?" River punched him on his back as he lifted her up.

"Nothing..." He grinned as he placed a kiss on her navel before throwing her over his shoulder.

"EEEEEEEHHHHH!!!" River scream-squealed as she broke the surface of the water, the twins pausing for a moment with their eyes wide before breaking out in fits of laughter along with their father.

River came up to the surface with a murderous glare on her face.

"You, mister, are going down!" River seethed before jumping onto his back, pushing him under.

"Go Mommy!!" Kiara squealed, laughing.

Mateo gave his treacherous daughter a shocked look before effortlessly removing River from his back and holding her up like she was a kid.

"Mateo, don't you dare!" She narrowed her eyes.

Mateo raised a brow, challenging her.

River puckered her lips and gave him a smirk. "You know what I will be do if you throw me in the water again." Mateo's eyes narrowed at her. "Or more specifically, what I will not be doing."

Mateo huffed as he lowered her slowly, throwing an arm around her as he did, pulling her to him, their chests colliding.

"Mateo, what are you doing?" River whisper-yelled, her eyes wide and her cheeks flushed.

He loved that it happened these days – she turning red. There was a time when none of this affected her.

"What?" He shrugged, acting innocent while looking over at the twins who were now flapping around with their arm floats on. "Careful." He called out to them though they were just two arm-length away.

"Okay Papa." They chorused, splashing water at each other.

"You know what!" River smacked him on his bare chest as she tried to get out of his grip. Mateo laughed and threw his other arm around her as well, dipping his head down and running his teeth along her cleavage.

"MATEO!" She screeched making him look back and act innocent while the kids too look over.

"Papa, are you troubling Mommy?" Lucas asked.

River smiled when she heard that and raised a brow at her baby daddy with a victorious smile on her face.

"No, son." Mateo shrugged. "Papa was talking to Mommy about getting you two a baby sister or brother."

"Really?" Kiara's eyes brightened up immediately while River turned as red as a beet.

"But what about the puppy?" Lucas asked. "Weren't you going to get us a puppy first?"

Mateo looked at River, chuckling when he saw the expression on her face and then at his son, "I guess we will have to go get a puppy today evening then."

"YAY."

.

.

.

"What are you doing?" River squealed as Mateo had her caged in again.

"What?" He repeated his response, looking innocent yet again as he untied the knot of the top piece.

"Mateo.."

"Hmm?"

"I need to tuck the babies in for their nap." She said weakly.

"I asked George and Davis to take care of them." Mateo shrugged, throwing the flimsy piece of clothing aside and squishing her front to his, his hands making down to remove the bottom part.

"Mateo..."

"I miss you." He said, bringing his lips very close to hers.

"But I am right here." River forgot her annoyance for a moment. She knew that he was going through a very tough time and though he was playful at times, it was just his attempt to somehow forget what the reality of their situation was for a few moments.

"Hmm..." He dipped his nose into the crook of her neck to inhale her intoxicating scent. "I love our children so much."

"I know." River smiled, hugging him and drawing soothing circles on his back. "You don't have to tell me that."

"And I have heard somewhere that the greatest thing that a father can do for their children is to love their mother." He said, unexpectedly lifted her off the ground, making her let out a yelp.

"Mateo!" She squealed. "I am pretty sure it was not said in this sense."

"Well, language barrier you see." He shrugged, the playfulness back in his face as he carried her to their bed.

.

.

.

_____________________________