58. I Can Handle Him

________________________________

.

.

.

"How about we race till where the kids are?" Mateo asked. The five of them were pretty far but he knew both of them could handle it.

"Nope. I am going to enjoy the breeze, the view and take a stroll. You can go if you want to." She slowed down and started to walk leisurely and much to his annoyance, Adam and Alessia were also walking away with the kids. They were probably taking them to the rock caverns.

"So can we talk now?" Mateo asked.

"About?"

"About your habit of bottling up your emotions till you have a panic attack?"

"That's blunt." She didn't look him in his eyes.

"I know."

"Look." She stopped again and turned to him. "I am a mother. I get scared, but I can't show it because my kids always pick up on my moods and emotions."

"You can talk to me."

"Well, let's see. We have been having a very bumpy road since we met this year. I don't think I had time for a deep conversation with you-" Mateo tried to disrupt but she stopped him with by holding up her palm and continued. "-at least not about me and how I feel. It was always about you and the twins, no offense."

Is that how she felt?

Mateo felt his annoyance make its way back. She could have always talked to him but she didn't. He found it easy to talk to her, maybe because he knew she was part of his future and family. But he guessed River never saw him that way.

This was her problem. She doesn't say anything and just expect people to catch on.

"Forget it." She breathed out.

"HEY!"

Before Mateo could say anything, he was interrupted by Adam's voice.

They turned around to see Adam and Alessia walk back, the twins on each of his shoulder and Mia in Alessia's arms.

"I thought you were going to the caverns." Mateo said as he moved forward, taking his kids into his arms, kissing them on each cheek.

"Yeah we were, then we saw you and slowed down for you but you lovebirds were taking too long." Alessia said and looked at his feet. "Who wears sneakers to the beach, dummy?"

"Mateo Adesso." Adam laughed out loud which earned him a death glare from his best friend.

"It's midday. Couldn't you wait till evening to go to the beach?" River asked as she ruffled Lucas' hair before taking Mia from Alessia.

"But Mommy, you said we could go when the sun was up." Kiara interjected.

River let out a sigh and nodded.

"Then let's go back for now, have the food GG made especially for you guys and then come back in the evening after Papa changes into sandals." She said and the kids nodded while Mateo narrowed his eyes at her.

They all decided that was a smart plan and walked back into the house. Adam took Mia and sat her down on his shoulder.

"Papa, how long are we gonna stay with Grandma and GG?" Their little Kiara asked.

"How long do you want?" He asked his children.

"Um.. Forever?" Lucas asked, making him chuckle.

"You want that?"