94. Sergey Was Making A Point

_____________________________

.

.

.

Three days.

It had been three days and there had not been one useful information regarding River, nor could they locate Sergey Petrov.

"I swear to god, I cannot go one more day not knowing where she is!" Mateo banged on the desk. He was losing his mind – Sergey Petrov was getting what he wanted.

"Calm down, Mateo." Michelia squeezed his shoulder. "We will find her. Calm down because the twins need you right now and you can't lose control over your emotions like this. I know that River wouldn't."

Mateo turned to Michelia. He was at the edge of losing his mind. He didn't know where River was and he did not how to face the children. He was failing again and again in his own eyes. And she was right - River would have handled it so much better, which was funny because he was the one born into this lifestyle. He had to take pointers from River on how to keep her head when something like this happened.

"Knock knock, did anyone miss me?" The duo's eyes darted to the door and sure enough, there she was, in between Leonardo and Adam, with a bright goofy smile on her face.

"What the fuck!" Mateo exclaimed as he closed the distance between them, gathering her in his arms. "Where were you? What happened? How did you get back?"

River rolled her eyes - of course he was going to bombard her with questions.

"Sergey trying to play with you. He let me off after he was convinced that I was gone long enough for you to lose your mind. And I see he is right." She smiled at him. "Are you sure he is as bad as you all say he is? He seemed like a really nice guy to me."

Mateo pulled away and gave her a look.

She shrugged.

"Get her something to eat." Mateo turned to his cousin, cousin-in-law and best friend while pulling her to him, placing her head on his chest. River let out a sigh of content as she closed her eyes. It had not been terrifying or anything but she had been kidnapped for three days. She had not understood what the agenda could have been then but seeing the condition Mateo was in, it was clear that her kidnapping was simply a harmless prank by Sergey, all at the same time reminding them that it doesn't matter where they hide, if he wants to get his hands on them, he will.

Leonardo signaled the two others to leave the couple alone. The condition Mateo had been in the last three days, it was clear that he will take a little more to calm down and normalize his heart rate.

The kids were at the kindergarten as ordered by Michelia. She knew the danger was omnipresent so the only thing she could do at the moment was at least keep the kids away from the stress, and they did not need to know that their mother had been kidnapped.

"I don't know how to react to you." Mateo said as the door to the office was closed.

"What?" River grinned at him. "I am back, aren't I?"

"Sergey was making a point."

River nodded, knowing very well that Sergey indeed was making a point. "He found out that we weren't actually married and wanted to mess with you."

Mateo's eyebrows furrowed and then realization dawned on his face.

River narrowed her eyes. "No." She said before he could even word his thoughts.

"What no?" Mateo was convinced that it had become necessary.

"No Mateo, I will not marry you." River rolled her eyes. She knew that it was exactly what Mateo must be thinking. He needed to get the threat out of the way – the guy acted like a paranoid parent when it came to the safety of the twins and her (as he should) but River was not like that – she didn't have any other objection against marrying this dude but she was going to do it when the time was right and when she knew it was right and because she wanted to, not because she was afraid of being abducted by some humorous Russian Mafia Boss.