20. Mrs. Michelia Adesso

_______________________________

.

.

.

"Mateo!!" Michelia screamed as she clutched her seven-month pregnant belly. "It hurts so bad!!!"

"I know I know Lia.." Mateo tried to calm her down. "We are just there, okay? Take deep breaths!"

"I can't breathe.!" She cried out in pain. "I am scared!" She sobbed.

"It's nothing love, he's going to be fine. He's the son of a Capo. He's too strong to let this little scare hurt him!" He reassured her, though his own heart was thumping erratically against his rib cage. If something was to happen to his little Renzo, he would never forgive himself.

"We are almost there. Just take deep breaths." He chanted, for both of us to hear.

Pulling up into the hospital, he called for help and the medics wheeled over a stretcher and took her. She was gripping on his wrist like her life depended on it.

"Dr. Odum is in another surgery. Call the surgeon on call." Mateo heard someone shout out orders.

"Dr. Johnson."

Mateo looked up from Michelia and at the brunette who was speed-walking towards us, already pulling a stethoscope from her scrub-pocket.

"Blood pressure." She hummed, pressing the round end of the stethoscope to the swollen belly.

"One thirty-nine over eighty-three." A nurse said.

"How far along is she? Twenty-eight weeks?" She looked up at him for the first time, the sign of recognition being only a slight widening of her eyes.

"Twenty-nine." Michelia wheezed out as River nodded, checking her eyes with a flashlight.

"Do an ultrasound and see the position of the baby and the umbilical cord." She said. "Did you take a blow?"

Michelia nodded.

River didn't respond as they wheeled her away but this time Mateo stayed back.

"Will they be alright?" He asked, making her turn to him.

"Hopefully."

"What do you mean?"

"The baby is premature and his or her heart beat is unstable. I think there is some damage. I am hoping it's a false alarm but if there is physical damage, we will have to do a C- section."

"He will be fine if we do that?"

"Can't be too sure unless we know where he took the blow." She replied. As if on cue the nurse from earlier approached them.

"There's strain in the amnion and a part of the umbilical cord looks damaged."

"Get the OR ready. Ask the patient about the medicines she takes before administering the anesthesia. I will be right there." She said and turned to the Italian. "If the baby isn't hurt in any other way, he's gonna be fine.

She gave him a reassuring smile and speed-walked away. And he was approached by the same nurse yet again.

"Could you please tell me the patient's name?"

"Mrs. Michelia Adesso."

.

.

.

River wasn't a gynecologist but the many years of residency taught her a lot, so it wasn't too hard delivering a baby.

This case was called a very preterm birth given that the fetus was only 29 weeks. The C-section went smoothly and the mother was fine and healthy.