21. So It Is True?

____________________

.

.

.

"But Mommy, we never go to the beach anymore!" Kiara whined as she curled up on her mother's lap, tugging at her shirt sleeve.

"Because it's so crowded in the weekends baby and I told you right, Grandma said no outings for a while." River tried to pacify her. Susan had taken up the case as a favor to the guy because he had helped her out when she was starting out in a world where women were looked down on. But she knew the consequences of helping him out, so she had to take her precautions.

Susan hadn't hidden her worries from her daughter. She knew that River could take it but she told her mother-in-law and everyone else that this was because of the media lurking around.

"At least to Uncle Sebby's house?" She asked, pouting.

River almost gave in when Lucas said. "Wow Ki, that's very disrespectful to Auntie Jackie. She's here and you are not even playing with her."

The doctor raised a brow as she watched Kiara jump off from her lap and charge at Jacqueline who gave her best friend an amused look before welcoming Kiara into her arms, Lucas joining them.

Lucas really was mature beyond his age. And he was also much of an indoor person. Even Kiara was trying to adjust to the new pattern but it was a Saturday and they had nothing to do so she had reached her limit.

"Let's play Zenga!" Lilith exclaimed out of nowhere, wheeling into the room with the Zenga set on her nap.

"YES!!!" The kids chorused excitedly.

.

.

.

"All the major organs are functioning normally. He just has a bit of trouble breathing and digesting food so we are putting him on a nutrient drip and oxygen supply. He will be fine." The nurse assured Michelia before checking all her vitals and leaving them.

"I am so sorry Lia." Mateo said, squeezing her hand. "This was all my fault."

"Shut up, will you? We are all safe and that's all that matters!" Michelia replied, though he could see the pain of being separated from her son in her eyes.

Suddenly the door banged open and Mateo spun swiftly on his heels, taking his revolver out.

It was just Leonardo.

"Took you long enough." Michelia smiled.

"You okay?" He had tears in his eyes.

"Capo to the Italian Mafia and you are crying?" She chuckled.

The two Capos rolled their eyes before Mateo gave him a nod and side-hug before leaving the room, letting the couple have some privacy.

"Cugino?"

[Cugino - cousin]

Mateo turned around to look at his cousin, who had his arms around his wife.

"Don't beat yourself up for this. It wasn't your fault."

He nodded again and walked out.

'But it was my fault. If I had went to the conference in Italy instead of Leonardo, he and Michelia would have still been in Chicago, and safe.' Mateo thought to himself as he made his way to the cafeteria.

"Mr. Adesso?" He looked up to see a nurse grinning like a Cheshire cat at him. She looked familiar but he couldn't remember from where.

"Yes?"