60. Your Bruised Knuckles Say Otherwise

__________________________

.

.

.

"So what happened with that dude?" River asked as she dug into her lunch.

"Antonio de Pedis." He stated. "And he left soon after you guys came inside."

"Uh huh." River rolled her eyes. "That must be why you took about an hour to come in."

"I was on the phone." He said. He looked like he was controlling his temper. He really wanted to lash out at River and ask her to shut up but he was trying to keep his cool for the children's sake. But River wasn't backing down either, though she knew the dude was at his wit's end. She just enjoyed testing people's limits.

Especially your own.

'Fuck it, I thought you left.'

In your dreams.

"Your bruised knuckles say otherwise." She pointed her fork at his bloody knuckles. He quickly dropped the fork and put his hand in his pants-pocket. "Unless you were punching a wall while making that call."

"Shut up River." He said in a dangerously low and emotionless voice. That was her cue.

"Just shake off all the negativity and try to sort shit out before the kids start pestering you to take them to the beach." River lowered her voice as well. He let out a long-frustrated breath.

"I will." He said finally. River nodded, staring at her plate.

"You not done yet?" Jacqueline grabbed her best friend by the arm, making her turn in her seat, her knees bumping with Mateo. He looked up and glared at her.

Jacqueline gave him a confused look while River said, "Don't go anywhere near my- our kids with that face."

"Gimme a sec." River told her best friend and started to shovel the greens into her mouth.

"Don't forget to breathe and chew." Jacqueline chuckled, nudging her on her shoulder.

"Mmmm.." River hummed in reply chewing on the heavenly meal she really wanted to enjoy. But it is some people's fate to not be able to enjoy good food properly.

"Let's go!" River exclaimed as she picked up the plate and got off the stool, going over to the dishwasher to put away the plate and fork before taking her hand.

"Wait, where are you going?" Sebastian asked, rocking a sleepy Mia in his arms.

"Girl things Shane, nothing that concerns you." River rolled her eyes.

"But I was supposed to talk to you first." He whined, stamping on the floor like a spoilt little brat.

"Uncle Sebby, stop whining." Lucas gave him a look for disapproval that had the room laughing out loud.

"Yeah, take Aunt Ally on a date while we kids nap." Kiara said.

River raised a brow, a grin forming on her face. Her kids were so awesome. Though she wondered where they got that from.

"Why don't you say that to your parents?" Alessia asked, giving River a stupid look which made her drop her grin. What the hell woman?

The kids looked between Mateo and River.

"They are smart." Lucas shrugged.

"They don't need to be told anything." Kiara added, nodding to herself.

River's grin was back in its place as she shrugged at Alessia who was laughing, shaking her head. Even stick-up-his-ass Mateo had a small smile on his face as he looked proudly at their little darlings.