90. Too Clean

_____________________________

.

.

.

"No." Mateo shook his head at their children. The both of them wanted a Dobermann. But the breed was not children-friendly and Mateo Adesso was an extremely over-protective father.

"But Papa.."

"Moving on." No amount of puppy eyes or sad pouts were going to change his mind.

River chuckled as she walked beside them as they went through the kennels.

"What are you laughing at?" Mateo scowled. "It's all because they take after you."

River raised a brow. "What do you mean by 'it's all because they take after you'? What do I have to do with this?"

"They are fearless to a fault. And impulsive. Like their mother." He threw an arm around her shoulder.

River looked up at him, giving a flat look. "Fearless yes, I agree that they take it after me, but impulsiveness? Bro, you only have yourself to blame for that certain trait?"

Victor snorted, Davis elbowing him in the side because he didn't want the three of them to have to face Mateo's deadly scowl. He believed that his life span shortened every time he saw it.

Meanwhile, this certain argument that River had thrown at him did not register in Mateo's brain, because like the typical man that he was, his brain stopped at the point when the love of his life called him 'bro'.

"What did you just call me?" He was thoroughly annoyed, and the change in shades of his face seemed pretty entertaining to River, who had to bite her inner lip to stop herself from laughing at his immaturity. The bodyguards at the back was also controlling themselves.

"Impulsive." She feigned innocence as she pulled away from him, taking two steps forward so that now she was in front of the kennel where the kids were watching chihuahua pups play around.

Both of them looked up at her.

River took in a breath – Chihuahuas were spawns of Satan if the internet was to be believed. She did not want them getting one of those.

"Mommy, they are so small." Kiara pouted. "I want something I can hug." She hugged the air to emphasize her point.

"You have your Mommy, Papa and Lukey to hug." Mateo was at River's side, this time securing his hand on her waist.

"I think we should get a golden retriever." River had not made any suggestion on the breed of dog yet but she had come to realize that it would be a disaster if she left it to her boyfriend and children.

"They are child-friendly." She gestured to Mateo who was paranoid about the safety of the children "AND they are huge, compared to you two at least."

"Great!" Mateo was happy with what River came up with. He waved one of the saleslady over. "Do you have any golden retriever puppies?"

"Yes sir, this way." She said, leading the way.

"What would you three do without me?" River sighed dramatically, placing her hand over Mateo's hand on her waist.

"Starve, stink,-" Mateo started dramatically.

"Shut up." River chuckled, elbowing him on his side.

"Ouch woman!"

"Don't tell me the Capo can't take a small blow to the side." She raised a brow. This time, it was George who couldn't control his chuckle. Mateo gave him a look, "Go stay with the kids." He shooed them away.