46. Works For Me!

_____________________________

.

.

.

Mateo groaned as he climbed down the steps of the private jet.

"Slowly Mateo, your wifey and babies aren't going anywhere." Alessia said as she kept a strong hold on his crutch. He was to use a crutch so that he didn't put pressure on the right side of his abdomen.

"You mean, wifey-to-be." Adam asked. He was already on the tarmac, tapping his foot impatiently. Man child.

"When are you going to wife her?" Alessia asked.

"When she is ready." He rolled his eyes. "Can we handle one problem at a time please?"

"Please and all huh? You big softie!" Adam snickered and all the Capo wanted at that moment was to whack his best friend's head with his crutch but he was cent percent sure that the traitor would go bitch about it to his little best friend, who also happened to be Mateo's son.

"For the sake of our sanity, keep your mouth shut, Adam." Alessia said as she helped her brother down the last step.

Adam stuck his tongue out and said, "Alright grandma. Now take thirty minutes to reach the car."

Mateo hit Adam's leg with the crutch as soon as he reached the car on which Adam was leaning.

"What was that? I am telling Luke!" Adam whined like a kid while Alessia rolled her eyes.

"And I am telling the doc that you are trying to rush me." Mateo imitated him.

His eyes widened. "Who? River?"

Mateo nodded and gave him a smug smile. "Which other doc is waiting for me back at the ranch?"

Adam looked genuinely panicky.

"How about this? You don't tell doc and I won't tell Luke."

"Works for me!"

.

.

.

The front door opened as soon as the car stopped in front of the driveway.

A middle-aged woman walked out along with Janet. Mateo guessed her to be Nancy Davidson, the kids' tutor and the woman River didn't trust.

"Mr. Adesso!" Janet came forward to give the boss she had helped raise a hug and Mateo looked over to see that Nancy's face had gone pale.

River Johnson was never wrong.

And this woman was being too obvious, which meant that she was not doing this by choice.

"Papa!!!!" His two little babies came rushing down the stairs.

Mateo grinned, passing Janet his crutch, feeling the pain in his abdomen when he tried to bend down. Fuck this.

"Don't even think about it." River walked out after the kids, narrowing her eyes at him playfully while he winked at her.

The bambini hugged his legs, making sure they didn't touch his abdomen. Mateo could tell that the surgeon had already given the instructions.
[bambini - babies]

"Come here." River said as she bent down and picked their children up, positioning them on each of her hip. Mateo put his arms around them, holding River's shoulders.

"Did you guys miss me?" He asked.

"Yes!!" The twins exclaimed in unison while River rolled her eyes yet again.