49. Why There?

_______________________________

.

.

.

"Wake her up." River heard a whisper.

"You wake her up Papa."

"She will kick me."

"No she won't."

"What's going on you guys?" The orthopedic surgeon mumbled as she turned her head to the other side, blowing away the curly hair that tickled her nose, not bothering to open her eyes.

She was in a very comfortable position, lying on her stomach, and her lower abdomen and back were very happy with the position so she refused to move.

"Morning Mommy." She felt her little boy, Lucas on her back as he bent down and placed a kiss on her cheek making a smile to appear on her face. She silently wished that he would sit like that on top of her aching back all day. It just felt so comfy.

"Morning my little prince." She whispered, snuggling into her pillow.

"Open your eyes Mommy." Kiara rolled over to her mother's side and she put her tiny arm around her mother's neck.

"No.." She groaned, pulling her little girl close to her.

"Come on Mommy." Lucas shook her.

River opened her eyes reluctantly, squinting at the brightness of the room. Mateo was sitting up on the bed, smiling at the three of them. He had changed out of his pajamas and had his hair cut and beard trimmed.

'Thank heavens.' River thought. 'He looked like a hobo with unruly hair and beard.'

"Morning Mrs. Adesso." He winked at her while she rolled her eyes, holding herself up on her elbows.

"Morning Mr. Adesso. And I prefer to be called Dr. Johnson." She gestured for her little Lukey to get off her back and she sat up properly as he did, pulling him onto her lap while caressing Kiara's hair as she laid next to her, looking up at her with a lazy smile.

The kids had gotten her curls. As much as River loved how adorable her babies looked with the curly hair, she felt equally bad for them if they ever plan to grow it out. It was going to be a struggle trying to tame it.

"Papa said we were going on vacation." Kiara looked up, a bit confused. "But I thought we were already on vacation."

River turned her head towards her baby daddy. "We are?"

"I told you yesterday." He raised a brow. "And you agreed."

Okay, when did that happen?

Now that she thought about it, Mateo indeed was saying something while she was falling asleep the last night. She must have agreed to him without knowing what exactly he was saying.

River sighed. "I was half asleep by then and my brain registered none of what you said."

"So we are not going?" Lucas turned to his mother.

"Hmm.. Depends." She shrugged.

"On?" The three of them asked in unison, identical looks on their faces. They really were father and children, weren't they? Of course they were, she had seen the paternity test results with her own eyes.

"Where we are going and for how long."

Honestly, she knew that she was going to agree to however long it was going to be because she wanted Mateo and the babies to spend as much as time together as possible now that they knew about their relation and before Mateo went back to his busy schedule. But she was also very skeptical about where this Capo of the Sicilian Mafia was going to take them. It was not that she didn't trust Mateo – frankly, it was too late to start not trusting him – but she was a mother and she had the innate motherly concern and paranoia.