98. My Day Is Ruined

________________________________

.

.

.

"Dmitri?"

The man writhing in pain on the table stopped moving and looked over to the source of the voice.

"River." He let out a sigh of relief. Though the two Mafias were at loggerheads, Dmitri and River had a good relation - he had helped River after all. And he trusted the doctor, knowing very well how capable she was.

"What happened to you?" She didn't know much of what was happening inside the Mafia right now but she knew that Adam was growing restless and could act out at any moment. Did he do something? Was there a fight between the Mafias? If that was the case, then things could get real messy.

"There is something very fishy going on." He wheezed out. "And I was trying to get to the bottom of it when I ended up getting shot."

River looked up at the nurses and interns looking at her curiously. She decided that this was not the time or place to have this conversation.

"Brief me." She nodded to one of the interns.

The bullet lodged itself onto the scapula but it didn't damage any major nerves or vessels, so the patient was sent to the OR.

River wondered if Dmitri had been lucky or if the shooter just wanted to scare him off, but she didn't have time to worry about that. She needed to quickly get to work.

.

.

.

River stood rooted to her spot, taking deep breaths.

Detective Ian Sanders and a few other officers stood outside the Dmitri's room. The guy had not regained consciousness after the surgery but the police had decided to wait to take his statement.

The man looked up and a smile immediately appeared on his face when he saw River.

"Hey Doc." He waved as he walked over.

River really wanted to scoot at that moment. She thought it was weird that while she faced most things head on, this dude made her want to run away. She wished Mateo was here.

The cynical part of her raised a brow at herself. When had Dr. River Johnson ever wanted to run and hide behind someone else? Was this Mateo Adesso making her weak?

"Detective." Her voice came out breezy.

"Things really are complicated around here, isn't it?" He chuckled. "The brother of the woman, for whose murder your boyfriend is a suspect, was brought here with a GSW and you were the one to perform the surgery and we have received statements that you and he seemed like good friends."

River bit her lip, taking a deep breath before giving him a tight smile. "Dmitri and I are acquaintances and unlike the police, he does not believe that Mateo had anything to do with Mona's death, because he was busy with me and our kids at the time."

"Right." Ian had the sick smile still in place. "So, what is Mateo saying these days? Which reminds me, what does he do again?"

"I think you should go ask him all that." River was getting more and more restless. "I have work to do and places to be."

"What are you hiding, Dr. Johnson?" He asked.

"Not something punishable by law." She smiled and turned on her heels – her shift ended in an hour and she just wanted to get back to her kids at this point even though she did want to hear what Dmitri had to say.

"But you are hiding something." The detective hummed. "And I plan to find out what."

.

.

.

Victor cursed when he saw the woman he least wanted to see.

"Oh great, my day is ruined." Jacqueline whined when she spotted her best friend's bodyguard.

River looked up from her phone and let out an unladylike snort. These two were like cat and mouse and it was kind of entertaining to watch for River.

"Cut the guy some slack." River chuckled. "I am pretty sure Mateo is giving him and the kids' bodyguards hell because he is not here. They have to deal with a paranoid father and boyfriend, don't give Victor any more trouble."

"Why are you taking his side?" Jacqueline rolled her eyes, though she wanted to also point out to River how smoothly the words 'father' and 'boyfriend' rolled out of her tongue and how happy she was that her once commitment-phobic friend was now giving this relationship a serious try.

"I am not." River said and then waved at Victor, passing her duffel bag to his outstretched hand. "The kids home yet?"

"Yes, and Mr. Shane is sitting with his kid."

River and Jacqueline's mood elevated at once. It had been long since the three best friends had been under the same roof and they did have a lot of catching up to do.

"Alright, take us there." River said, looking between the two characters and weighing the tension between them. Was she crazy or could she see sparks?

River raised a brow. She knew Jacqueline would kill her if she ever brought it up but Victor and she had something going.

.

.

.

"What is the use of being the Capo if I can't even control the city?" Leonardo sighed as he crumbled the cigarette and let out the smoke he had inhaled.

"Shut up Leo, our sister is a smartass and she is able to conceal herself. It doesn't mean you fail as a Capo." Mateo did not want his brother to feel like shit because of the lack of progress since they got here. "At least we know she is safe and doing things on her own accord."

The two men were going to get back to New York that night. Everything was at a standstill and it didn't look like anything could happen from where there were. It was better to be back with their family and hope that Alessia stay safe. Of course the assassin would know how to keep herself safe but she was their younger sister and it was only in their nature to worry for her.

Mateo's phone rang just then.

He saw it was Adam calling.

"Hey." He sighed as he took the call.

"The house was attacked." The words felt like a bucket of ice cold water to the Capo.

"What?"

"You need to come back quick."

"Was anyone hurt?"

"Just come back quick." Adam said.

"Adam, was anyone hurt?" Mateo said evenly, his hands shaking as Leonardo watched with his eyes wide, not knowing what had happened.

"River's being operated on."

.

.

.

____________________________