41. Here I am!

_________________________

.

.

.

Mateo groaned as the woman walked into the kitchen, her eyes on his kids and their mother and he saw anger in them. How dare she?

But she covered it up and grinned innocently, "Hey Capo, did you miss me?"

"Why are you here?" He gritted his teeth. He looked over at his twins. "Go play in your room babies. Adults need to do some talking."

They nodded and Mateo and River helped them down from the counter walking out of the kitchen.

Adam, Alessia and Ricardo were in the living room, all looking miffed.

But their faces lit up when they saw the kids. The kids ran to Adam, the only person they were acquainted with.

Alessia was at River's side within moments, throwing her arm over her shoulder. "Introduce me to my niece and nephew; I couldn't meet them in the morning because my stupid brother kicked me out before they woke up."

"All of that can wait! We have much more important things to discuss!" Amanda clapped, interrupting the happy moment and butting in before River could call her babies to introduce them to their aunt. "Kids, go to your room. You guys discuss everything. River and I will hang out together."

None of the adults liked the sound of that. Not one bit.

Before Mateo could protest, the kids ran up the stairs and Amanda grabbed River by the hand and pulled her back into the kitchen.

"Is she gonna be okay?" Adam asked.

"River's strong and smart-" Mateo started but he cut him off.

"Not River. I am worried about Amanda. Poor girl will be devastated when Doc shows her her real place."

.
.
.

River narrowed her eyes at the woman as she dragged her back to the kitchen.

She knew she was always quick to judge but she really didn't like this woman.

"So, River Johnson huh?" She asked.

River gave her a wide sugar-coated smile, nodding.

"You made these cookies?" Amanda took a cookie from the cookie jar and bit into it, scrunching up her face. "I am sorry but this is.. inedible."

River rolled her eyes. The world isn't short of petty dumb people, is it?

"Mateo made it." She shrugged, giving her yet another innocent smile.

She looked dumbfounded.

"Well.." Amanda started.

"I am going to check on the kids." River cut her off, filling two glasses with milk and a plate with the cookies.

She flashed her yet another smile and walked off to her kids, getting away the lady who gave her major negative vibes.

The rest of them were nowhere in sight so she presumed that they had locked themselves up in Mateo's office yet again, doing god-know-what kind of plotting and planning.

She made her way up the stairs and turned towards the kids' room. As she walked in, she found them jumping on their beds, their plush swords in hand.

Look at them, living out my dream! Her mini-self was all heart-eyes for the swords.

River rolled her eyes, forgetting that the inner voice was herself and not a separate entity.

"Mommy!!!" The babies squealed as soon as they saw her.