45. Today

____________________

.

.

.

The last two weeks were extremely stressful for Dr. River Johnson. Mateo was in the ICU, healing from the GSW which had fortunately missed any of the major organs. She had wondered how many other times had he taken bullets except the two that she knew of.

But that was the reason she was the most stressed. It was the twins' tutor, Mrs. Nancy Davidson. After the very suspicious behavior that day, River had almost always been around the twins – she refused to leave them alone, especially not with the very obvious rat in the house.

Of course, Nancy was going to grow alert but River had managed to mask it as paranoia after Mateo was shot.

.

.

.

"I don't know. The doctor said he should wake up any moment." Alessia shrugged as she got off the elevator.

It was the kids' break time and the kids were in the kitchen with Janet while Nancy had gone to her room.

"Hmm... Call me when he wakes up." The surgeon sighed as she played with the hem of her shirt.

"Oh look who's up!" River looked up in time to see Mateo looking at her, surprised.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" River asked, quickly sitting up as Alessia passed him the phone.

"Like I was shot in the fucking gut." Mateo said, a smirking playing at his lips.

River took a moment before she burst out laughing, remembering what he said in the OR an year ago.

"Classic." She said as she sat down on a chair. "The bullet got your appendix. Nothing to worry about."

"How do you know that?" Alessia asked as she shoved her head next to her brother.

"I worked there. I have my sources." River shrugged, feeling half her worries wash away now that he had woken up and looked fine.

"Did you contact your family?" Mateo asked.

"Nope." She rolled her eyes. "I am not that dumb."

"But hey, can't you just get them an encrypted phone as well? Only to call me?" She asked, hopefully.

"I had thought about that but it's better for them to have as less contact with you as possible." The Capo gave her an apologetic look and she nodded.

River was glad that they were back to talking.

"And Mateo, I want to tell you something."

River had his complete attention.

"Yeah?"

"It's just that-"

"WE WANNA VISIT YOU!!" The kids jumped in front of the phone and grabbed it from their mother's hand.

"Babies!" River groaned.

"I am not a baby, Mommy!!" Lucas groaned.

"I thought we had decided otherwise?" River looked at her son.

By the time, Kiara had the phone to herself. "Why can't we come visit?"

"Because it's dangerous out here. You have to stay safe."

"That's what I am trying to say-" River started but was again cut off.

"But Dadda-"

"No buts-" Mateo stopped. "Wait WHAT?"