40. So Back To The Question...

____________________________

.

.

.

"You could move back because you stink." River blurted out as she scrunched up her nose.

He threw his head back, laughing aloud.

But he still didn't move a step back.

Dumbass.

"Why?" He cocked his head. "Is my proximity affecting you?"

"By affecting, if you mean in a nauseating way then yes." She cocked her head, imitating him.

He chuckled some more.

"Let me make you some coffee." He stood up straight. "Or maybe you should go sleep. I am free till the evening. I will take care of the children."

River was ready to decline but she realized that he shouldn't be having to look for such excuses to spend time with his own blood and flesh.

Who was she kidding? She wanted to keep them apart because she didn't want the kids to have to lose their Papa but she was taking their precious time together from them.

Her resolve strengthened yet again, for now.

She realized that this was a perfect opportunity for the father and children to spend some time together before she told their babies the truth.

"Yeah. That sounds like a good idea." River finally said.

Mateo gave a single nod and lifted her off the counter and placed her back on the floor, as if she was the most fragile thing on earth.

Of course, he never felt that she was weak. To him, she was one of the strongest, fearless and amazing women he knew. She was like a tree that thrived in the middle of a drought.

He turned off the coffee maker and the couple made their way back upstairs.

River turned to the side of the stairs where Alessia and the kids' rooms were.

"The kids slept in their room?" Mateo asked.

"No, they are so comfortable I didn't want to disturb them." She said, deciding to sleep on one of the twins' bed.

"Wait, you should use my room." Mateo said.

She turned around and gave him a confused look. "Why?"

"Because the kids are going to be running in and out of their room the whole day so you won't be able to get much sleep." He explained. That was a fair point but why his room? As if he could read my thoughts, he continued, "And it would arise suspicion if you slept in a guest room. We are married, remember?" He quirked a brow, a smirk lining his lips.

River rolled her eyes. This dumbass was incorrigible. But she was also confused. "So they don't get suspicious if we sleep in different rooms? "

"Are you suggesting we sleep together?" He teased, cocking his head again.

River did a three-sixty degree jump in annoyance, groaning. All the while, Mateo was laughing at her.

She poked at the inside of her cheek with her tongue to calm herself, and then smirked. "Not that I mind.." She took a step forward and Mateo abruptly stopped laughing. "But.."

"But?"

She really had no idea what to say.

"But.. "

Think River, think!

"But?"

She just gave him a playful grin. "Never mind."