34. Please Keep Them Safe

_______________________________

.

.

.

"Let's go get the kids."

Mateo nodded and they made their way into the kids' room.

"Mom, what are you doing?"

The duo walked in to see Susan packing all of the kids' clothes, while Lilith looked on, concerned.

"Mommy!!!" The children ran to River's arms. She bent down and picked them both up with a gruff. Why is she doing it when she knows she shouldn't be doing this?

"Why are we going away?" Lucas asked.

"Mom."

"I am taking the kids to Cambridge." She said. "You can come if you want to."

"Mom, you can't do that." She said.

"Oh yes, I can."

"No you can't." Mateo spoke up. "Their parents decide where they have to be."

"Mateo, let me talk to her." River gave him a pleading look, gesturing to the children.

"River, ask this criminal to leave!" Mrs. Johnson exclaimed, pointing at him.

"He's a criminal?" Lucas asked.

Mateo clenched his jaws. How dare she!

"Babies, go help GG pack Mommy's bags." River quickly put them down.

"Where are we going, Mommy?" Little Kiara asked.

"What's happening, River?" Her grandmother wheeled forward.

"Nanna please." River looked like she was about to lose it. Caught in the middle of everything.

Lilith nodded though she looked unconvinced and concerned and wheeled away, followed by their children who looked at their father, scared.

Mateo could feel the anger bubble up inside him.

She maybe River's Mom and his children's grandmother but she had no right to call him a criminal in front of his own kids.

"Mom!"

"I don't want to hear it, River!"

"Then you should go back to your house and let me deal with the situation!" River spoke up.

"River, are you out of your mind?"

"Mom, I know you are scared. Hell, we all are! But that doesn't mean you can take all these rash decisions!" She said. "We are their parents and we know what we are doing."

"Then you should know that what you are doing is wrong!"

"Okay, then what is the right thing to do?" Mateo asked. "The Russians are everywhere. There is no place you can take them where they will be safe. Only I can keep them safe now. Your daughter understands that. That's why she is doing this."

She shook her head and turned to her daughter. "I am calling Seb. Only he can talk sense into you."

"Mom, I am thirty years old." River said. "I don't think I need to get my decisions validated."

"What did you just say?"

"You heard me. And we honestly don't have time to waste here arguing. We need to get going." River was getting red in the face. She was more terrified of this situation than she let on and her mom being so opposed to this didn't help.

They understood how Susan felt but each minute was crucial and they couldn't afford to waste it until someone dropped a bomb on this building or something.