112. How Did You Know?

___________________________

.

.

.

River's eyes widened when she saw the figure that emerged out of the supply closet right next to the front door.

"Sia?" 

Okay, so the blow from Victor changing sides did not hurt as much as the idea of being in the same room as the crazy Italian assassin did. Ian knew that Alessia Adesso did not miss, and that she was just as crazy as him. If there was someone that the ruthless Ian Sanders was scared of in the Sicilian Mafia family, it was the mad daughter of the Boss. 

He did not see this coming. 

"I know this is sort of an anti-climax and that it should have been Mateo or you who finished this, but you guys were taking too long!" Alessia shrugged as she walked forward, stepping on Ian's injured shoulder and making him yell out in pain. "Don't yell too much and thank me, because this is not my usual style. Usually, I just put a bullet through your brain."

"I don't understand." River took a step forward, cautiously looking between Victor and Ian. "Someone please explain the dynamics in this room." 

"Jackie and the kids have nothing to do in the equation." Alessia said after taking a deep breath and smiling at her niece and nephew who were still hiding their faces against their aunt's belly. 

"Victor is on our side. Ian is our bad guy. And I am the surprise element. And you were kind of a bait?" Alessia cringed when she said the last thing, not knowing how it would affect her sister in law's ego given the term she had used. 

But River was too 'un-egoistical' and still too confused to even care about what Alessia had said. 

"So...." 

"Long story short, Matthew and Ian were a couple and he came for revenge, tried to get Victor to work for him but Victor did not relent but he inevitably did to keep an eye on Ian."

"So you are not William Morris?" River turned to Victor.

"I am." Victor scratched the back of his neck. "But I am not the bad guy who would hurt two innocent children."

"You... are a... traitor." Ian wheezed out, trying to get his hands on his gun which had fallen a few feet away.

"Don't even try." Alessia kicked him hard while Victor picked the gun up.

"And George and Davis?" River asked.

"On our side." Victor nodded.

"They will be here with Mateo any minute now." Alessia said.

"Victor, tie him up." Alessia said and then turned to River, hugging her. "Told you I will keep the kids safe."

"But why didn't you say anything? We could have ended this weeks ago."

"I was constantly worried that there might be an insider." Alessia admitted. "And we would have lost the chance of smoking them out if we had dealt with Ian from the very beginning. That's why I waited to see how he was going to approach us. When he used Dmitri, I became confident that he didn't have anyone other George and Davis, who he believed were on his side, on the inside. I was already convinced about it after all the snooping around that I did but I just couldn't take any risk."

River raised a brow, impressed. "So you weren't really wallowing away in guilt and drowning yourself in alcohol?"

Alessia grinned at her. "Nope."

She turned to her niece and nephew.

"My babies!" She knelt down and spread her arms.

"Zia!" The twins were so so happy to see their aunt again. They ran into her arms.