103. I Hate My Liver Now

______________________________

.

.

.

"So, tell me what's going on?" She said. "Sergey Petrov still after my head?"

"No." River said, giving Mateo the eye because it was clear that he was ready for another argument. "That dude and your brother finally grew brains and realized it was some third party trying to instigate a fight between the two mafias."

"Ooooh." Alessia made herself comfortable on the bed. "If someone is capable of doing that, they have to be one hell of a genius."

Mateo let out a breath of exasperation as he sat down on the chair, scratching his beard.

He wondered if his angel of a daughter will turn out like her mother and aunt, because these two were just impossible and he would have one hell of a problem to deal with.

"Yes yes, they are the geniuses. We are the idiots. I think it's time we got over that and dealt with the situation." He said. "Especially now that one of our problems is over." He pointed at his little sister. "And can you please go lie down on that couch? She is injured."

Alessia pouted and turned to River with that pout. "Do you want me to go away?"

"Why are you making it sound like you are going to disappear again?" River laughed. "Just go lie down there."

"I thought you were on my side." Alessia brushed off an invisible tear and got up.

"Go on!" She said as she sat down on the couch and flushed the throw pillow on it.

"Go on what?" River asked but was surprised when Mateo got into bed with her, taking her hand.

"Can you get off the bed? I am injured." River mimicked her boyfriend.

Mateo gave her a flat look. "Shut up."

"Whoa, he has started to show his true colours." Alessia laughed.

River raised a brow and gave her boyfriend a questioning glance.

Mateo had an annoyed look plastered on his face as he looked over at his sister. "And what exactly are my true colours?"

"Stupid alpha male-ness."

"Shut up.."

River let out a laugh, the beautiful melody cutting short when her liver protested.

"I hate my liver now." She mumbled.

Mateo rubbed her shoulder and turned back to his sister.

The truth was, there was a million things that he needed to talk to his sister about – starting with never ever disappearing out of the blue like that.

He understood and respected her, and he knew that he had once failed as a brother due to which she was acting the way that she was acting now. But he didn't want to run away from the conversation that they were bound to have, anymore.

Mateo Adesso, Capo of the New York Unit of the Sicilian Mafia and future Boss of the Sicilian Mafia – after all that had happened to himself, his girlfriend and his children – had finally come to his senses. And he had realized that there was no use running away from the problems like he had been for so long. It was not the way to deal with things and it definitely wasn't the way that someone with so much responsibilities as him was supposed to deal with the troubles and trials that were inevitable in his line of work and life.

He was an idiot, and it had taken him a mighty amount of time and incidents to finally come to this realization. But now that he had finally come to his senses, he planned to make everything right. And the first thing to do was to sit down and talk with his sister, apologize to her for being the failure he was as a brother all those years ago, and then finding whoever was behind all the bullshit that had been happening to his family. He was a fucking made man of the Mafia. It was almost embarrassing to be running in circles because of some unknown person or group. Whoever it was, needed to be taught a lesson the Mafia way. And they had to be made an example out of, for all those who was ever thinking of messing with the Sicilian Mafia.