62. Marry Me

___________________________

.

.

.

"Okay, let's start from the beginning." He said. "Tell me your whole story."

River gave him a look, just an impassive look, none of the 'I am going to slit your throat if you breathe' message to it.

"Well, once upon a time a couple met and fell in love." She started, looking back at the wall. "They had a gorgeous little baby."

Mateo snickered and this time she gave him an 'I dare you to do that again' look. He instantly stopped. Good.

"But the woman had a problem with her uterus and it had to be eventually removed, rendering that kid an only child." She continued. "But then she had a crack head to call brother. His name was Sebastian Shane and though two years older than her, he stayed by her side all through pre, elementary, middle and high school, college, job, children.... He was one of the constants of her life."

River gave Mateo a pointed look at this point. She was fully aware of the death glares this asshole sent her best friend's way and she was not okay with it, though she had to admit that she had found a bit funny in the beginning. River had full copyright reserved to glare at her best friend, and only exception was his own wife. Something like how Lucas feel about someone else pulling Kiara's hair.

"But yeah, we took hell a lot of bad decisions, ended up in Eric's gang curtsey of this stupid friend Sebastian made, Michael Jahn-"

"The Hammer." Mateo nodded.

River sighed as she nodded. That was the guy.

"Eric Richards was my first boyfriend by the way." She added.

That made him turn towards her, eyes narrowed.

"What? He was this ultra cool dude and I was only sixteen."

"He is five years older than you."

"My dad was eight years older than my mom. And they had one hell of a love story." River thought back to the time when her father was alive. Her mother smiled more often. She used to be more laid back and full of life. But after her father's death, it was like a part of Susan Johnson died with him. She was just a shadow of her former self who threw herself into work to forget her grief. In a way, the twins were a blessing who pulled her out of the darkness she had surrounded her with over those years.

"Did you have sex with him when you were still a minor? Because that's statutory rape." Mateo spoke up.

River rolled her eyes. There he goes, off topic again. This man got distracted so easily she wondered how he was going to do once he actually became Boss.

"Were you dropped on your head when you were a child? Because that shit's serious." She retorted. "And that was what, fifteen years ago!"

"You are thirty one."

"And you are thirty three." River rolled her eyes again. She did that a lot too these days, curtsey of the Italian man. "I would actually expect you to know all of this about me."

"I wanted to hear it from you."

"Ugh!!" She jumped up and turned to him. "Get out! Let me sleep!"

"Marry me."

You know that emoji, spirals for eyes and a wide mouth? That's probably how River's face looked at that moment.

"What the fuck Mateo?" River smacked him across his arm, completely shocked and annoyed at his sudden statement. Note the point, not even a question. He straight out said it as if it was an order or something.