28. Something Doesn't Add Up

_______________________________

.

.

.

"Hellooo my booboos!!" River sang as she watched her munchkins scramble on to her bed.

"Mommyyy!!!" Kiara squealed, her bright smile back in its rightful place.

"My little booboo bambi!" River hugged her, rocking her a bit.

Susan looked at her concerned and she just gave her a playful glare. She knew that she was kind of crippled right now but that didn't mean she wouldn't give her little fairy princess the best hug she deserves.

"Are you okay now Mommy?" Lucas asked, taking her hands in his, looking cautious.

River rolled her eyes. "Come here my little gladiator!" She hugged him tight though it strained her spine a bit.

The boy acted way beyond his years. He was scared he would hurt his mother.

"Mommy, you were so cool yesterday!" Kiara clapped, squealing.

"I know I know. But it's a secret, okay? You can't tell anyone." River looked between her darlings.

They nodded, Lucas more solemnly than Kiara.

"Mommy, we made you lemon cookies." Kiara cheered.

She looked at her, then at the bag in my mom's hand and pouted.

"I am still fasting!" She wailed.

"What's fasting?" Lucas asked. "That you are fast?"

"Like yest-" Lucas covered Kiara's mouth before she could complete and whispered. "It's a secret, remember?"

River's boy took secrets and promises very seriously, while Kiara couldn't keep it in unless she forgot about it.

River didn't think she was going to forget the moment her Mommy did some action movie level stunt any time soon.

"Fasting means Mommy can't eat, until the doctor says otherwise." Susan explained to the kids.

"But aren't you the doctor?" Kiara turned to her mother, her angelic voice dripping with curiosity.

"I am a doctor baby but Mommy has another doctor." She said.

"But why?" She asked again.

"Because Mommy is always taking care of others, she needs someone to take care of her." Lucas reasoned.

"Like a husband?"

'What were we talking about and where is this going?' The inner voice cooed.

"No no-" River tried to intervene but her children were already taking the conversation in a different tangent. She finally gave up after a few more tries and just pulled them to her lap and listened to their chatter, feeling the gravity of the situation suddenly and finally hit her.

'What would have I done? What would have I done if something had happened to them?'

"Mommy, are you crying?"

"Mommy, are you hurt?"

"Mommy, is it because we are fighting. We won't fight anymore. Promise!"

"River, baby, does it hurt? What is it, hon?"

She couldn't bring herself to answer to their questions and concerned voices.

She blinked rapidly to clear off the tears and started gasping, feeling out of breath.