66. Stop Overthinking River

_______________________________

.

.

.

"But we never met Nonna and Nonno." Kiara whined as River dressed her up.

"Yeah Mommy, won't they feel bad?" Lucas said from across the room.

"I know baby, but this is an emergency." River pouted.

"But-"

"Yo, I honestly think that you guys should at least stay till tomorrow and wait for them to come before you leave. You really don't wanna anger Nonna." Alessia said. She was perched on the vanity table, surfing through her phone.

River groaned and walked over to her. "But I am terrified of meeting them in Mateo's absence."

"Yeah I know, that's why I am saying all of you should stay till tomorrow."

River dropped her voice and whisper-yelled. "But there's a dead body Alessia, and it was found in the ranch."

"Yeah, but Mateo wasn't officially summoned by the authorities or anything yet, right?"

"Won't it be sus if he acts all unbothered about finding a corpse in his property?" She asked.

"Mommy, we are going to play with Mia!" Lucas announced and turned around to see them running off. She sighed and walked over to the door, watching them take a turn and disappear from her eyesight before closing the door and turning back to her friend.

"Nothing Mateo and money can't handle." She pointed out. Well, as arrogant as that was, she did have a point!

River finally nodded, plopping down on the bed.

"So can I tell Mateo?" Alessia asked. Though it was her own idea, Alessia wasn't very enthusiastic about it either. She was just trying to avoid the drama that her grandmother would cause if things didn't go the way it was initially planned. Abrianna Costello didn't yield according to other's convenience.

River nodded and then looked over at the TV screen.

'So much shit going on! Why does this have to happen to us?' She thought as she stared at her reflection. 'Why don't we ever get a fucking break?'

She just really wished that Mateo and the kids could have more time to spend with each other without the constant danger looming around and the conspiracies that are cooked up against him.

River was eternally grateful to god for not letting anything happen to her children. And she was also glad that they almost instantly forgot about the kidnapping incident and wasn't overly affected by anything else that happened afterwards. And she was so glad that they got their papa, the happiness that outweighs all the other shit that went down these last few weeks.

But she still wished that all of this would get over fast, at least for now, so that the kids could have a normal life. Even if they go back to New York, they would still be watched and they would still have the target trained on them and that was just so unsettling and scary.

Mateo always told River that they would not hurt the kids because it was against the Mafia law but that didn't make it any less scary - they were kidnapped once, weren't they? And they were almost kidnapped again by one of Mateo's most trusted men. And they could have been the ones to be poisoned if she hadn't eaten the cookies first.

"Stop over thinking River!" Alessia's words reached her ears. "You are three thoughts away from giving yourself another panic attack!"

River looked over at Alessia and then at the mirror. Sweat beaded her forehead and she looked like she had just seen a ghost. She sighed.