17. Beautiful

_____________________________

.

.

.

Mateo stormed into his hospital room, his mask of indifference he had put on in front of Dr. Johnson and the people in the corridor, coming off.

"Whoa, what's wrong?" Adam got up from the couch where he was seated with his laptop on his lap. "Did something happen?"

"Leave me be!" He thundered, glaring at his best friend.

Adam wanted to know what was going on but he decided this was not the right time. He knew his best friend – he was going to tell him everything eventually. But now he needed space and Adam was going to give him that.

Adam looked walked out the door with his laptop in his hand. He directed the bodyguards to ignore it if they heard the sound of something being smashed or broken.

Mateo stood there staring at a wall. She had kids. She was single but she had kids.

As much as he wanted her in his life, he knew he could not be so selfish. In the mafia, it was either marriage or blood relation. If he were to start a life with River, her kids would always be in danger. Unless River herself became a made woman of the mafia, and he knew that wasn't happening. The woman loved her job too much.

She had to let her go.

But how could he?

He had never felt the way he felt for her.

How was he going to bring himself to let her go?

.

.

.

River spent her afternoon with her kids as planned. She helped her mother with the packing for the camping trip, and she was very surprised when she heard that one Mr. Peter Wilson was joining them. She didn't know her mother was seeing someone. Though her mother denied any such thing, River's grandmother, Lilith, told her that the old lady was very sure that something was up. And River was very happy for her mom. It had been pretty long since she lost her father to cancer and she believed that it was high time her mother gave herself a second chance at love. It would mean the world to her if her mother started over and was happy again.

"Have tons of fun and tone down on the mischief!" River exclaimed as she hugged her two bundles of fireworks, lifting them up and rocking back and forth on her heels as she did.

"Yes Mommy!!" They sang in unison.

"And stay safe, okay? Mommy will call whenever possible." She added.

"And you should eat and sleep along with saving people." Kiara said, an innocent look of concern on her face which melted River's heart.

"And please drink water. Granny said you are always dehyrated." Lucas put in.

"Dehydrated." River corrected with a smile before pressing a kiss to his forehead. "And yes I will drink more water."

She turned to her little girl and kissed her forehead too before setting them both on the ground so that they could climb onto the car.

She turned to her mother.

"Yes yes, I will take care of myself, and the twins and I will keep updating you. And no, I won't do any kind of office work while I am there." Susan Johnson rolled her eyes while River laughed. Her mom knew her like the back of her hand.

After settling the kids in and waving them goodbye, River drove her grandmother to her friend's house before getting back to her empty apartment to dress up for her date.

She went for a simple red dress which stopped just above her knees, about one-sixth of the skirt was see-through fabric. She didn't put on anything fancy. She just wore nude heels and silver purse and her smartwatch which she never took off except for showers and surgeries. She did a natural look with nude lipstick and a little mascara.

She was ready before time and so she decided to do chores so that she didn't have second thoughts.

With the children gone for a few days, she knew she was going to be extremely lonely in the apartment. She already was when they were at their grandmother's but now, she couldn't go see them as she wished.

And she also knew that going on this date was going to aggravate whatever strange feelings she felt towards Mateo Adesso and it was going to leave her feeling like shit.

You really are torturing yourself, River. She scolded herself but she just couldn't stop herself.

The doorbell rang, interrupting her train of thoughts.

Is there any way I could bail out now? She thought miserably as she quickly made her way towards the door and swung it open. Mateo stood there in a black dress-shirt and black pants.

Hot.

"Beautiful." He muttered.

"I am hoping that's a compliment." She smiled up at him as she closed the door behind her, locking it and putting the key in her purse.

"It is." He chuckled.

She didn't know what it meant. She had never tried to learn another language and she knew that would have gone for Latin if she did ever want to try out a new language so there was no use complaining.

They went to a small but beautiful Italian restaurant. It was all white with plenty of windows and green vines growing against the wall. It was breathtakingly beautiful, pleasant and brought peace to one's mind.

"Good evening." The young waiter said, smiling at the both of them. She seemed nice.

"Tell Chef Laviene that Mr. Adesso is here and that he wants two of her best three course meal." Mateo told the girl, who looked blank for a moment before nodding and walking away.

"The usual huh?" River giggled, keeping her purse on the side. Though she couldn't shake off the bitter feeling in her throat. And she found whatever she felt towards Mateo pathetic.

"Nah, the special, only for you." He said, taking her hand in his.

She smiled at him, looking at their entwined fingers. Gazing up at his caramel eyes, she didn't see the mischief and warmth it usually held. There was anger, sadness and an emotion she didn't understand. Had something happened? And did he come to the date only because he didn't want to stand her up?

"Did I say you look beautiful tonight?" He asked.

Zero originality. River thought and then scolded herself for being so bitter. What was her problem? She should have just said no! but she was being pathetic and not able to refrain herself and now she was complaining.

"I don't remember." River smiled at him, earning a chuckle.

"Well you do."

"Thanks." River shook off all her negative thoughts and just laughed.

They made small talk as they had their meal. It was mushroom soup followed by the most delicious pasta she had tasted and lastly apricots in hot chocolate sauce. She had declined the wine though. Because Dr. River Johnson didn't know when she would get an emergency call.

"How about we take this to my apartment?" He asked as they walked, holding hands.

Here we go. River thought. She wasn't going to pretend that she didn't see this coming.

She looked over at the man. Though he had a small smirk on his face, he looked sad and reluctant and something told her that he was mirroring her own expression. What was wrong with the both of them?

"I don't see any reason to decline." She said, looking ahead at the parking lot.

He let out an empty chuckle, his arm pulling her closer to him.

.

.

.

_________________________________