82. Hey, That's Cheating!

_____________________________

.

.

.

It was half past ten when his over-excited twins went to sleep. And Mateo was the happiest man in the world. He was so glad to be back home. Home where his children and River were.

He was so angry at himself for what he had told River, and he knew that no matter how nice she behaved with him, River was going to hold a grudge for a long long time and she had every right. He was willing to be on the receiving end of her anger because he knew that he deserved it. He had crossed the line in his fit of rage and jealousy, and he knew that he had hurt the woman he loved in the process.

He knew that the relationship between him and River were progressing and it was only a matter of time before he got what he wanted - a complete family with River.

He was going to make her his lawfully wedded wife. And he was going to be the husband of the most amazing woman he had met in his life.

He just hoped that the pig-headed orthopedic surgeon felt the same way for him, because he knew that as much as he would respect her decision, he would be the happiest man on earth if she felt the same way towards him, and somewhere in his mind he knew that she indeed had feelings for him.

"A penny for your thoughts?" Michelia said as she sat down next to him on the balcony couch, handing him a glass of mixed fruit juice while sipping on her own. It was a moonless night, the sky embedded with a million stars, shining like the city lights below.

"You are going to get a cousin in law soon." Mateo smiled as he gratefully took the drink. How times had changed! Michelia had always been the kind to bring out beer for any occasion and now she had resorted to fruit juice, because that's what she could drink while she was feeding her little boy.

Michelia returned her good friend's smile when she heard that.

She absolutely adored River Johnson and she would be one of the happiest people alive when the two of them finally got married.

Mateo sighed and then said, "She doesn't want to concentrate on our relationship now. There is too much on our plates already."

Michelia nodded in understanding. There really was too much on everyone's plate right now.

"And she thinks Alessia is in danger."

This was new news.

Michelia furrowed her brows as she turned to her cousin in law. "What do you mean? Leo said someone threatened you with River's life."

"River thinks that is some kind of a distraction and you know that she-"

"-is never wrong." Michelia smiled. She heard about that a lot in her brief time knowing River.

"And did you talk to Sia about it?" She asked.

Mateo let out a deep sigh as he turned to his friend. "You think she would be willing to listen."

Michelia smiled sadly. That was true too. There was no way in hell that Alessia was going to listen to any of them.

"As long as we are on alert, I think it will be fine." She said finally, after staying silent for a good two minutes. "Sia can take care of herself, and we will have her back so I don't think anyone will be able to harm her."

"I really hope that's the case." Mateo sighed again. To have a target on you was not as frightening as having one on your loved ones.

He was not going to focus on anyone in particular. Everyone close to him - River, the twins, Alessia, Michelia and Lorenzo - every one of them were going to be protected. He could not afford to have them harmed in any way. All of them were way too important.

.

.

.

It was early morning when Mateo picked River up and she was hella sleepy. She knew it was going to take her some time to get back to her non-existent sleeping schedule.

"You look like you crawled out of a grave." Mateo smiled amusedly as he opened the passenger's seat for her, taking her duffel bag from her.

She was too groggy to form any real sentences so she just flipped him off and got in the car while Mateo dismissed Victor until her next shift and tossed the bag on the backseat.

"Here." He passed a package. The smell had her swooning. He had gotten her some freshly made garlic bread from the bakery just near their apartment. He loved the food there and he also knew that River was probably going to sleep all day as soon as they get home and he did not want her going to sleep on an empty stomach.

"You are the best!" She squealed just the way Kiara squealed when she was exciting. Now he knew where she got it from.

It was just amazing how their children were a mixture of the both of them.

"I think I will take a kiss as a thank you." Mateo said cheekily, leaning closer to her.

River rolled her eyes. This man child was going to be the death of her, wasn't he?

She leaned towards him as well, surprising him and before he could do anything, she had moved back after placing a quick kiss on his lips.

"Hey, that's cheating!" He whined like the man child he was while River burst out laughing, sticking her tongue at him and making faces while he pouted.

He joined her in on the laughter but pulled her closer, this time capturing her lips with his.

River let him do it, snaking her arms around his neck and closing any space between them while he sighed in contentment into the kiss.

This woman had become his haven without giving him any warning. She was the best thing that happened to him, along with his two beautiful children and he wanted to protect all three of them with everything he had.

.

.

.

A silhouette watched the couple making out in the car with blood-thirsty rage. Here, they were making out and having fun, living the life and being happy with their family while his loved one had been killed.

He was not going to forgive them for what they had done.

He was going to make sure that each and every one of them died a terrible death, a fate worse than the one they had given his loved one.

He was going to make sure of that.

.

.

.

_____________________