64. Like Dead Dead?

_____________________________

.

.

.

"I feel some tension and I know it isn't sexual." Adam laughed out loud while River narrowed her eyes at him. This little shit really liked to make her feel awkward. He was that friend. And River thought that he already had Sebastian for that and needed no one else. Too bad both she and Mateo ended up with the exact kind of friends - the irritating and mocking ones.

The kids, Adam and she were in the water. And she had to get Alessia and Jacqueline as well because well, her two kids were reasonable only as long as water wasn't involved. Mia had gotten tired and so was now in Lilith's arms and they were talking animatedly to each other about who knows what because Mia couldn't speak properly yet, but they seemed to be having a full blown conversation.

River just hoped that her grandmother wasn't teaching her little godchild some heavy words and idioms like she taught Lucas because she didn't think her poor old Sebby would be able to deal with that. His own vocabulary consisted of about twenty words.

"Please don't start, Adam!" River groaned as she splashed water at him with her leg.

"Why not?" He asked. "I am a chilled out dude. And I love to have these meaningful conversations."

River rolled her eyes. 'Meaningful my ass.' she thought to herself.

"Yeah right, I have seen how you talk to the employees here. You are anything but chill, dude." She pointed out. He was like the warden of a boy's boarding school. He acted like he was possessed when he barked orders at them

"It's all just an act." He shrugged, his laugh silly and careless.

"So tell me, what are you doing to that poor soul?" He asked, referring to his own best friend. Both he and River knew that Mateo was anything but a poor soul.

River gave him a flat look. "Human, he literally has gun collection as hobbies and shoots people in the head without flinching. Not to mention, he once drew a gun on my head. He is not a poor soul!"

"Well, your family was being manic and irrational and he had to do what had to be done to protect his family." He defended. River was not surprised that Adam was defending Mateo for what had happened. This guy was so slow that he could not tell that she too was just joking and not really accusing her baby daddy of anything.

"Save your arguments for your rows with Alessia, buddy." River splashed more water at him and he gagged when the saline water went into his mouth. She burst out laughing only to trip back and fall into the water which had everyone cracking up, but she still couldn't stop her laughter. She again thought how slow this dude was. She had deliberately brought Alessia up because she thought that they made such a cute and dynamic pair. She wondered if they both even realized the chemistry they had.

"Mommy!!" Her children waddled over to her and hugged her and the three were hit by a sudden strong wave which had all of them drenched, choking and laughing.

"Alright, that's enough salt water in the lungs for today!" River looked over her shoulder to see that Mateo had approached them and though the three protested like the stubborn babies they were, he lifted all three of them up (yeah yeah bro, he thinks he is the descendant of Hercules) and walked back to where the towels and picnic mat were.

The three were finally placed down. River quickly grabbed two towels and tossed one to Mateo, starting to dry Lucas' hair while he did Kiara's.

"Papa, we had so much fun!" Kiara squealed.