70. Me

______________________________

.

.

.

Abrianna sat on the garden bench staring daggers at the fountain.

"You want it replaced, Nonna?" Mateo asked as he took a seat next to her. She kept a distance from everyone but still she was the closest of Mateo among her three grandchildren.

"Along with your wife and sister." She muttered and turned to him, her piercing caramel orbs scrutinizing his. "She is your wife, right?"

Of course she didn't believe that lie. Why would she? She knew for a fact that he wouldn't dare get married without her presence.

"You know the truth."

"Why the lie?"

"You know why."

"If she was your wife, I would have killed her to get you to marry who I wanted you to." She muttered again. She had not even met River yet but her racism was enough to make her hate her.

Mateo sighed and leaned back in his seat. "I love her Nonna."

She pursed her lips into a thin line and clenched her jaws.

"You can't possibly be in love with a weak American." She gritted out stubbornly. She didn't wanted to believe it; she wanted to believe that he was sacrificing his chance at a marriage with a woman of Italian lineage because he wanted his children to have both their parents together.

"One, River is anything but weak. You will know when you meet her. And two, she is half British for all it's worth." He said.

"You are blinded in your childish love." She retorted.

"Then so be it, but you are not laying a finger on my woman." He finally said, standing up. He turned to leave only to see Alessia and River making their way towards them. He did not think that then was a good time for either of them to meet Abrianna, but it was too late.

"Hello Nonna!!" Alessia said extra-cheerily thanks to her inebriated state.

"Are you drunk?" Nonna growled and then turned to River, standing up. "How dare you make my granddaughter drink the day I was visiting?"

"Nonna, this got nothing-"

"Oh please Nonna, we both know you are the one who made me drunk!" Alessia laughed sarcastically.

"Me?"

"Let's just say I called Neisseria and learnt a very interesting fact." Alessia said. Mateo looked between his grandmother and sister. Neisseria was Abrianna's eyes and ears. She was an amazing woman and probably the only person in the whole wide world that my Abrianna trusted.

"What do you mean?"

Suddenly there was a gunshot.

River's eyes darted to Mateo's. "Where are the babies?"

"With my mother. Don't worry, they are safe!"

She gave a quick nod and pulled out the handgun which she kept with her at all times these days. He followed suit and pulled out his own gun and they made their way to the front doors. The guards were aiming at someone, while one of them wheeled River's grandmother away.

"Be careful!!" Lilith's eyes were wide with shock and fear but she still whispered those words to the both of them as she was wheeled away.

River gave a quick nod while Mateo squeezed her hand and bent down to her level. "Don't worry. I will protect her." She nodded with a small smile.