☆Chapter Twelve

Leah's POV

        The sound of sirens engulfed me and I could hear Elle screaming my name in a panic. I could feel someone tugging at my sides and my body being airborne. I couldn't bring myself to open my eyes and in a blind rage began resisting my attacker. "It's okay" I could hear Elle's soothing voice nearby and her fingers softly gliding along my cheek. "You can open your eyes love. You're okay now" I moved my face deeper into her touch slowly beginning to open my eyes. The blurry image of men in navy suits came into view and the thump of the ambulance frightened me. I'm sure a confused look sprawled itself out over my face because I saw a hint of amusement in Elle's eyes. "You were hit, the guy was drunk you were crying on the phone and...." She trailed off, tears forming and she took a sigh of disbelief as they began falling. In an attempt to wipe her tears as a gesture of comfort everything blacked out. 

        The white lights blinded me and the beeping sounds of machines stung my ears. I blinked my eyes open seeing Elle sleeping in the corner. My mouth suddenly became dry and I struggled to look around for a something to quench my thurst. The pain in my head became evident as I tried to turn and take in my surroundings. My body began to convulse before everything went black. 

Ms. Decosta's POV

        I tried her phone for the third time that day before downing another glass of wine. We were just on the phone and then there was nothing. Tears began to form as I shakily poured myself another glass of wine, my mind racing trying to come up with an answer. After hungrily finishing my glass, I threw on some sweats and a clean shirt for some fresh air. 

        I wiped away stray tears as my red Kia purred  to life, turning on some light Beethoven to soothe my nerves. Thoughts of her began  to quickly resurface and I hummed along to my music pushing away any memories. 

        The ringing of my phone swept me away from my thoughts and I answered on the third ring. "I'm sorry. I-I know you probably don't want to hear from me but that day....."

        "What happened?" I interrupted and I could hear her labored breathing through the phone. "Leah, what the hell happened?" I tried again, my voice slightly rising.

        "I had an accident, I'm fine. I just  didn't want you worried so I called as soon as I could" 

        I didn't say anything, I listened to Elle's low voice in the background and I could hear a man's as well. "Are you in the hospital?" 

        She didn't respond and I took that as a yes. "On my way" I rushed my words pressing end and changing my course of drivinng, headed to the emergency room.