☆Chapter Twenty Three

Leah's POV

    I knew she could sense something was wrong and it was. I looked past Ms. Decosta as Lianne marched through the door of the cafe, her eyes darting to every table before landing on mine. I instantly slumped in my seat knowing she had already seen me. I took in a deep breath preparing myself for the worst and looked in Ms. Decosta's eyes apologetically. She shot back a quizzical look before following my gaze and hurriedly packing her things pulling out a 20 to cover her meal and the tip. "Stay" I whispered, barely audible but I knew she heard me because she placed the money back into her purse. I wrapped my leg with hers under the table to reassure her just as Lianne slammed her fist down making everything clatter and the handful of people at nearby tables stare with relieved looks that it was not them in my position.

   I could practically see the steam coming out her ears and I looked everywhere but at her. She slammed her fist down a second time, demanding my attention. Instantly my eyes snapped forward. I stole a glance toward Ms. Decosta and she was pale. I felt her leg tap mine and her eyes gazed toward the ground. I followed her stare and bent under the table picking up the napkin with her number on it. Lianne coughed asking for my attention again and I was growing annoyed.

   "Why the fuck are you with her?" I expected her voice to be loud and assertive but instead it came out shaky and not much louder than a whisper. I half shrugged holding eye contact with Ms. Decosta. I shifted my eyes to Lianne and she was watching me intently. It gave Ms. Decosta the opportunity to finish gathering her things and I watched from the corner of my eye as she slid her $20 bill back on the table.

   Lianne ignored Ms. Decosta's presence allowing her to slide out of the cafe unnoticed.

   "Why.... the .... fuck .... are .... you .... with ... her?" She said it again this time spacing out each word as if I were a small child. I didnt need to be reprimanded by her.

   "I was already here. She came in with her husband"

   "That's not what I asked"

   I was getting more pissed off by the minute.

   "I dont need to explain myself to you" A flash of hurt masked by anger glided across her face and I almost gave in, feeling guilty.