☆Chapter Twenty Seven

I walked around aimlessly, hands in pocket, scarf wrapped around tightly. My thoughts played tennis, bouncing from Leah to my husband, what I saw in his emails. I dabbed at my forehead as a bead of sweat attempted to make an appearance and I gave my legs a rest after they had been screaming of pain for a while now. I allowed my mind to freely relive the moment, the exact moment I cut on the tablet.
My hands shakily turned on the tablet taking a deep breath as the screen illuminated my face. I smirked at my reflection in the screen doing a once over of my appearance. My small moment of joy was short lived as the small black object fully came to life. My eyes darted around the screen as emails, facebook, and messaging notifications popped up reading 'hey babe are you there?' My heart rate picked up, faster than what it was before as, without thinking, I tapped the notification. I instantly shut my eyes hoping this small device would malfunction, praying it was just another silly ad. The light of the screen pushed my eyelids apart and with confidence I scrolled through my husband's messages. I read and screenshot evidence, building a case of infidelity against him. I swatted at invisible tears before they could even fall, steadying myself on the counter as my legs desired to give out. My breathing became labored as I scrolled lower and took in even more information.
The walk back toward the counter felt like a hike across America. I used a chair for support as I let my legs guide and carry me back to the tablets hiding space. Placing it back in steadily along with my wedding ring, my head snapped to attention at the sound of someone clearing their throat.
"You took off your wedding ring"
"I did" I said it low, barely audible as my eyes stared at the white tiled kitchen floor. I stared at the various scratches and stains from years of spills, family parties and late night make out sessions.
"Why"
The cold hand that grabbed mine whisked me away from my thoughts and I looked up into my husband's light brown, seemingly distant, eyes.
"Why" I repeated, still barely audible. He gave me a puzzled look masked with a knowing gaze.
"Who is Tom?"
"You know who Tom is" He said this as though it was the most obvious question someone could ask
"Who is he to you" I matched his tone, challenging his answer
"A fr--"
"More than a friend" I interrupted "Are you gay?"
He shifted his stance avoiding eye contact. "NO" he practically yelled finally deciding to face me. "I love you" It was forced and low.

The low hum of my phone dragged me back to reality and I gave into a smile as I realized Leah was the one who had been calling.
"Hello?"
My eyebrows furrowed as an unrecognizable voice floated to my end of the line
"Who ..."
"Lianne" she snapped back before I could finish my question. "dont ever call or talk to Leah again. She's mine"
I didnt have the energy to fight so I complied with her request. "Ok" was all I was allowed to get out before she ended the call.