☆Chapter Nine

Leah's POV

   I walked Elle halfway to the office and kissed her lightly on the cheek as we departed. Starting the long trek to class, Ms. Decosta was all that pressed at my mind.

   Finally there, I unzipped my sweater and took out my books. Mrs. J, the elderly woman that occupied the class, instructed everyone to  begin with the notes. 

I reluctantly raised my hand and the instant it shot up my named was called. "W-w-where is Ms. Decosta?"

The teacher looked around hesitantly before answering my anticipated question. "She resigned"

I shrugged my sweater back on and closed my books. I didn't care that most of my pens now decorated the floor and I stuffed my bookbag with my things as involuntary tears slid from my eyes.

"Ms. Adams what are you doing?" Whispered the now irritating sub

I couldn't bring myself to answer due to the fear that I would be threatened with more tears.

I slammed my locker and kicked the door closed as I ran outside. Down the block I sat on the curb and let my emotions have their way. I couldn't ignore the fact that I felt abandoned and alone by someone I barely knew.

Ms. Decosta's POV

   This was the sixth time she called my phone and my desire to answer was at an all time zero. I didn't need to be reprimanded, especially by her. I took another swig of my beer and groaned as the liquid burned a trail down my throat. Leah's name lit up on my phone for the seventh time today and I took another sip in response.

   I couldn't stop thinkingt about the way i quickly resigned and for the frourth time in my life ran from my problems. Leah's face kept lighting up in the back of my head and i let out a slow sigh. The urge to dial her number almost overpowered me as I walked to my car obviously too tipsy to drive. 

   As the cab pulled up I could see the driver roll his eyes at he got out and proceeded to open my door. I slurred my address loudly and my eyes were pulled down as the car slid into motion.

   Finally at home i sprawled myself out over the bed and thoughts of Leah stampeded to the front of my mind. Now half asleep, I pulled my phone off of the dresser dialing her number

   "heeeeeyyyyyyy" I slurred, drool escaping from the corners of my mouth

   "What the hell?! Are you drunk?!" I could hear the panic in her voie and a smirk worked its way to my lips as I realized she genuinely cared about me. "Where the fuck are you?!" 

   It took me a moment to form my one word sentence "Hoooomeeee" I rolled over accidently ending the call and fell into a deep sleep

Leah's POV

   My denim jacket was the last thing I tugged on before heading out of the house. With no destination in mind, I began walking until I felt blisters threaten my feet and my legs scream with pain. I've been calling her phone for over an hour now and although it only goes to voicemail the sound of her voice is what really lures me into calling again. 

   It  was now three in the morning and I was restless. I parked myself on a nearby bench and let my mind wander. 

  When seven came around I made my way to school but the thing that stopped me was the red Kia waiting for me in the parking lot. I got in without question and the dark circles that accented her light brown eyes drew me in.

   "You were drunk?" It was an obvious question but at this particular moment, words seemed to fail me. She only shrugged her shoulder in response and I looked down, playing with my fingers. 

   "We can't do this" She broke the silence and not waiting for my response she continued. "I-I had to leave because I can't do this. I can't be with you. I-I don't want to, not like this"

  I turned to her searching her eyes for some unknown emotion. All that I saw was regret and a glint of sadness. Deciding to let her have the last word I headed into the school building without a glance back.