☆Chapter Twenty Eight

Leah's POV

I admired her from a distance, taking in her still fit body, watching the way she studied everything on the shelves. I inched toward her, being careful not to draw attention but secretly hoping I did. I didnt realize I had been holding my breath until I felt the soft familiar touch of Lianne.
"Leah.." she said calmly, taking me in
"Yea?" I knew my voice was distant and I knew she could sense something wasn't right
"You okay?"
I let out a breath, looking past her, refusing to look her in the eye. "Yea..." I pushed the cart forward avoiding further questioning, realizing Laura had disappeared. I walked the aisles not willing to admit I was looking for her, silently praying she was still here. Pushing the cart at a faster speed, I came up behind her, reading fake labels.
"Hey"
I turned around tentatively, taken aback by the fact she spoke first. "I've been calling" I made it a point to skip the pleasantries
"I saw"
My eyebrows raised involuntarily, questioningly.
"Lianne called" she continued ignoring the puzzled look I was giving her. "S-she told me to st-stay away and I-I respect your relationsh--"
I watched her fumble and trip over her words, play with her hands and stare at the uninteresting grocery store floor. "Stop" I interrupted, silently choosing my words casually. "Me and Lianne, we aren't together. At least not seriously. I like spending time with you, going out, its different" I said the last part quietly, nervously chewing on the inside of my cheek.
Laura studied my face, searching my eyes for truth. Offering her a small smile, Lianne's eyes locked with mine, tears welling up. I pushed past Laura shooting her an apologetic look before running after Lianne.

"We're not together!" Her voice pierced my ears, sending chills down my spine
"Lianne..." My voice trailed off before she slammed the car door turning it on. "Lianne!" I shouted, knowingly perceptible through the car windows. She pulled off leaving me in the parking lot. I turned around and caught Laura watching, face pale, taking in the whole scene. "Entertained?" I strolled toward her, running a hand through my hair.
"Hardly..... need a ride?"
I shrugged as I followed her to the black Kia that was parked unnecessarily in two spots.

"So why'd you lie?"
I listened to the hum of the low radio, ignoring her question. I watched her as she watched me from the corner of her eye, awaiting my response. "You're breathtakingly beautiful" I countered taking in her strong but still seemingly soft features.
A blush crawled onto her cheeks and she tired to hide it through a cough. "That doesn't answer my question"
"We aren't together... I dont know why she got emotional. And she took my car"
"You're beautiful too"
I reached over placing my hand over hers, noticing her body tense under my touch. "Thank you"