The Meeting

It had been the most unusual journey. Unusual in the sense that they must have travelled very far but it had only taken them a few seconds to arrive at their destination. After she had grabbed his arm at the hospital, Jessica and Kingsley had seemingly flown through time and space and landed outside a tall, narrow London townhouse. They landed with a spin and Jessica felt the cold pavement underneath her feet, a reminder that she was still in her hospital gown and was standing out on the street in it like a mad woman. Luckily, the street was scarce of people and cars so she needn't worry - but the slight late-summer breeze made her wish that she had something a bit warmer on. A minute later, there was another pop, and Arthur appeared at her side.

"Where are we?" she asked, feeling slightly nauseous from their travels and staring up at the row of townhouses, all equal in size and uniform. The one right in front of them stuck out like a sore thumb and looked abandoned. There was moss on the walls and dust all over the windows. If she had come across it any other way, she would've done her best to avoid it.

"12 Grimmauld Place," Arthur answered. He walked up the stone steps to the large wooden door and turned the worn-out brass handle to open it. He invited Jessica in to follow him, and although hesitant to go into the strange and dingy-looking house, she realised she didn't have much choice and walked up the stone steps herself. Kingsley accompanied her, following closely behind.

Jessica entered the hallway that led off of the front door and was immediately hit by the smell of damp and mothballs. The place was dimly lit with only candlelight illuminating the way, radiating off of the dark blue wallpaper that was half peeling off of the walls. It looked like no one had lived there in decades. Fear was rising in her body at the thought that maybe she had gotten herself into an even more dangerous situation by coming here so willingly. As the door closed behind her, her heart skipped a beat. She was locked in now.

"Where are they? I thought they were meant to be here waiting for us," Kingsley whispered to Arthur.

"They'll be here in a minute, they're probably just distracting the kids," said Arthur. "Oh in the meantime," he added suddenly, "best get you out of that."

He waved his wand and the hospital gown she was dressed in was transformed into an outfit that she was far more familiar with. She was now wearing blue jeans and a lilac hoodie, combined with a pair of matching white and lilac trainers. It certainly cured the chill that was swirling up her legs. Annoyingly, her hair was still messy and unbrushed though, but she couldn't complain. She was alive. Soon enough, a door on the floor upstairs could be heard opening, letting out a brief chorus of agitated moans before it shut. Footsteps creaked on the floorboards above their heads causing a little dust to fall onto their hair and shoulders. A short, plump woman came running hurriedly down the ornate bannister, wearing a yellow flowery dress and a beige apron which had many stains on it. Her ginger hair was frizzy and tied up in a half-up-half-down fashion.

"Oh Arthur you're back! I'm so sorry I'm late, the kids and I were attempting to do the curtains...Fred and George are getting on my nerves with it all."

She stood up on her tiptoes and Arthur on the cheek. They must have been husband and wife, Jessica thought, given both of them were wearing gold bands on their wedding finger. Jessica stood against the wall, as there wasn't quite enough space in the small hallway to fit the four of them, and another man exited out of the door at the end of the corridor, looking expectedly to find them there. He, like all others she had currently met, was much older than her if his appearance was anything to go by. He had thinned greying hair, and his pale face was lined to rival even Dumbledores, although mainly this was because of the scars and cuts that were embedded into his skin. His buttoned-up navy cardigan made him look much like a teacher, and he came strolling up to the group carrying a rolled-up newspaper.