The Attack

It was a pain, unlike anything she had ever endured before. Her whole body felt like she had experienced one hundred lightning strikes all at once. She couldn't see, as her eyes were glued shut to cope with the torture. If she opened them she knew what she'd see, and the fear of knowing it was all true was almost too much to bear. Through her closed eyelids, she observed flickering light, which partnered in her mind with the rushing motion her body was experiencing. She was lying down flat on an object, and she was being pushed down a long corridor. Having come out of a deep sleep, she was slowly waking up, and the more she came out of her dream-like state, reality hit her. Scuffles from shoes could be heard from below, as well as the slamming of doors ahead. She wasn't alone. The noise was however was too much, and it was causing her head to feel like it was splitting in two.

"Do you think she's going to be okay doctor?" asked a male voice from above worriedly as she let out a shriek of pain.

"I'm not sure, " said an older female voice. She could feel the back of a palm rest on her forehead, but the contact only made the pain worse, and the woman snatched back her hand in retaliation of her winces. "I'm afraid it's one of the worst cases I have ever seen, was she like this when you found her?"

"Yes...we got there just in time, although the perpetrators got away because we couldn't catch them," informed the male voice again, "we were lucky a muggle raised the alarm otherwise we may have found out too late otherwise."

Muggle? Muggle? Was the agony finally driving her mind crazy, or did she just not hear them properly. The background noise faded away as another slamming of a door happened in front of her and she was pushed through it. When the environment around her fell quiet, she was pulled to a halt, and for the first time in what felt like forever, she lay absolutely still. Her head was spinning round and round at this sudden stop but steadied after one or two minutes. The people left around her were now much calmer, talking in whispers instead of hushed tones. After a while, something soft and fluffy was placed on her forehead.

"Does she have a name?" asked the older female voice, assumed to be the Doctor. She was the one who had put the towel on her forehead.

"Yes, well, I looked in this tiny bag looking thing and the name on this bit of plastic says her name is Miss Jessica Clarke," said the male voice. Jessica could feel him lean over her to the Doctor to pass her whatever he had in his hands.

"And is she a...?" The Doctor whispered as if to not alert anyone else in the room.

"Yes, a muggle," the man whispered back, "but I've had strict instructions to keep her here, the orders came from above you see. If we're right about who attacked her, then she'll need to answer a few questions before we obliviate."

Although in pieces, her mind was able to pick up that 'obliviate' did not sound like a normal operation, to which she figured she might currently be in this hospital for. Again though, the man called her a muggle. Was this some sort of police term that she wouldn't know about? Assuming that this man was a policeman of course. He sounded like one. The man had said she had been attacked, which explained the pain, but she had no memory of every being attacked. The last thing she remembered was walking into Auntie Bethan's house like she did every Friday...

"Well, I hope they give her some time to feel better!" muttered the doctor, "although when have the ministry ever been sympathetic!"

The ministry? There was Government involved? Jessica was unsettled as she felt the control of her feet come back to her. She could successfully wiggle a toe, but not without it causing her hurt. It felt like there was a long needle poked through it. She gasped in pain.

"Actually..." the man whispered, leaning down close to Jessica's legs as the doctor held them down in an attempt to stop the twitching, "I'm not talking about the ministry. My orders, as some would say, come from...elsewhere. He would rather the ministry not know about this as well, so if you could please keep staff knowledge of this to a minimum."