The Choice

Six Weeks Later...

A warm early summer breeze filled the air. The song of birds could be heard through the partially opened window. Everything was quiet, and at peace. Jessica Clarke woke up in the bed of her childhood room, peach linen sheets laid carefully over her body. She felt sick, like she had just woke up from a long nap with the flu. Her head was aching. As she sat up, she looked around to see that her room had been filled with boxes marked with numerous titles and there were bits of rubbish everywhere. Her desk wasn't there anymore and her wardrobe was over filled. There was no sign of her living here at all. She looked down at herself to see that she was still in the same clothes she had been in at the ministry.

"Hey can you help me with this?" A woman's voice shouted downstairs, "we need to get breakfast ready!"

It was her mum.

Jessica jumped out of bed, stood still a while due to the head rush she gave herself, and walked towards the door. She opened the door just enough to see outwards clearly, and saw her mum downstairs in the kitchen cooking away.

"He's trying to get the tv to work, I've tried to tell him how to fix it but he won't listen."

Her little sister entered the kitchen in her school uniform, grabbing a piece of toast from the toaster. She had grown so much in a year, she was now in senior school - the same one Jessica had attended.

"Always trying to fix things," her mother joked as she scooped her brown hair into a ponytail, "yet always makes them worse."

That's where I get it from, Jessica thought.

"If something is broken you need to fix it," her dad spoke as he too entered the kitchen, he was wearing his suit ready for work, "you don't just give up, I'll get it fixed you'll see."

"Yeah either that or the house will explode," her mum replied sarcastically.

It was the typical family scene. They were all getting ready to start the day, they were all talking, they were all happy. They had been okay without her. This gave Jessica a nice feeling, as she had never quite been able to get over the feeling of guilt that she had been away so long having an adventure. But they hadn't missed her at all, they were thriving.

"Always were one for spying weren't you," said a voice behind her.

She turned around and quickly closed the door. Dumbledore, in his grand silver summer robes, was sat on the end of her bed. Though she had seen him more than her family this year, it was still a shock to see him in her house. It was good to see him though, despite her anger towards him.

"What are you doing here?" Jessica asked him, "what am I doing here? What happened yesterday? How's Fred? How's the Order?"

Dumbledore raised his hand to tell her to stop talking. She did so immediately. He then stood up and gestured her to sit down instead, and she did so.

"Everyone is fine," Dumbledore said, which instantly calmed her, "however I do have to tell you, which might come as a bit of a shock...it has been six weeks since the events at the ministry."

"Six weeks?!" Jessica asked in shock, "I've been asleep for six weeks? How have my parents not noticed a strange girl sleeping in their spare room?"

"I may have put an invisibility spell on you," Dumbledore admitted, "though I checked on you everyday, had to pull a pile of coats of you one time."

Dumbledore found a stool within the storage and dragged it over for him to sit down opposite her. She was about to ask more questions but his expression told her he wanted to talk about something more serious.