The Lottery

"And you guys did nothing? You slept in the same bed alone, all night, and did nothing?!"

"We weren't really in the mood Theo," said Jessica as she fastened her hairband around her ponytail, "besides, we weren't alone, nor sharing. I was bunking in the spare bed whilst Lee was next to me snoring and George was having nightmares. It's not exactly sexy when you can hear the brother of the guy you're dating shout out about ghouls and goblins."

It wasn't exactly how she had pictured sleeping in the same room as Fred for the first time.

First of all, he and George had to sneak her in to the common room without any of the Gryffindors seeing them. Then, she had to clean up Fred's injuries from the fight as George recalled what happened to Lee with delight, and then she had to sleep alone with the dread of what was to come keeping her up all night.

"Oh come on, I'll close the curtains," Fred had said from across the room when he had woken up in the middle of the night to see her awake, "we'll have privacy."

But Jessica rejected his offer on the grounds of not feeling well, just like she had done earlier when he asked her the first time.

In all honesty, she was scared of the necklace activating again with another vision and freaking him out. She had no idea who the long-haired man she had seen was, but she knew it wasn't going to get out of her head easily. To appease him though she did wear his shirt to bed, and this did bring a comfort that was close to being in his arms.

Now it was Monday morning, and she and Theo were walking up the stairs from the common room to attend Umbridge's first assembly as Headmistress.

"What about you and Pansy?" Jessica asked him, "Did she believe you when you told her it was innocent?"

"Yeah I think she did eventually," Theo said as they walked up the stairs, "she didn't at first though obviously. Blamed me entirely instead of you. We're cool now but I think I've got to work on her trusting me like I had to do with you."

Jessica smiled and nudged Theo in the arm. If someone was going to be allowed to have a normal relationship, she was glad it was them.

"What's Draco like? He barely even breaths my way now. It's pretty weird."

"I don't know, he seems normal," Jessica replied, though she didn't know what normal really was with Draco anymore, "I mean he basically confessed to falling in love with me and now he won't leave me alone. Literally. He's attached to me at the hip. I had to stay back in the loo with 'stomach problems' just now to get a break."

"Really? That's rough."

Jessica thought Theo would've reacted bigger to this, maybe perhaps supplying a sarcastic comment or so. But nothing, he merely looked interested at all, like he was afraid Draco would hear him.

"Listen," Jessica said as they were about to reach the Great Hall, pulling him aside and lifting the back of her hand up to his face, "you have this ring too, what does it mean exactly? And why can't I take it off?"

She had tried the night of the party. Fred tried, George tried, even Hermione tried. No spell, charm or force could lift the ring from her finger. It was stuck.

Theo examined her hands and his eyes focused like he had an idea, but for some reason didn't disclose it. "I don't know," he said, "Draco just got it for us one Christmas. Mine comes off so maybe it's just too small a size."