Let The Games Begin

"Okay we're going to try once more, I have a really good feeling about this one!"

"Yeah, you're doing well Jess, just really focus okay?"

It was four days on from her trip to Ollivanders, and Jessica's lessons were well underway. Order members were coming in and out of Grimmauld Place on a rotating door, both to take shifts with her and to deliver messages from the ministry. As they did not have much time (it was just over three weeks until she and the others were headed for Hogwarts) she was being given a crash course in magic 101. So far she had sped through first-year studies, with the most memorable lesson being Defence Against The Dark Arts with Moody. He had started the lesson with how to spot a Vampire and a Werewolf (which took her about half an hour to get over the initial shock of them existing) and then taught her the very useful 'Lumos' spell which was like a torch but for a wand. For fun, Moody ended up showing her the Knockback Jinx. They duelled using the spell until Mrs Weasley came knocking and disapprovingly told Moody off for making too much noise and distracting those upstairs.

The lessons were always in the downstairs living room, as that was the largest and most soundproof room in the house, but it also made it very easy to keep hidden from the others as they were being occupied upstairs with chores. She was now starting the second-year curriculum, and Jessica was halfway through a charms lesson with her favourite teachers Tonks and Bill.

"No I don't want to try it anymore, we can try it another time," Jessica refused whilst crossing her arms.

"Oh come on it's all part of it, accidents happen all time! You're fine aren't you Bill?" Said Tonks optimistically. Her bright green hair was currently cut short into a pixie cut.

Bill rubbed the back of his head. Jessica's wand had just flown out of her hand upon casting a spell and rebounded off of the wall, hitting him hard.

"That's nothing trust me," he said with a smile, and he adjusted his ponytail to get ready for another round, "give me all you've got."

Jessica reluctantly drew her wand. She pulled up the sleeves of the caramel-fitted jumper she was wearing (a gift from Ginny) and pointed her arm in the direction of Bill.

"Now remember, focus, you can do it," Bill spoke encouragingly, standing broadly with his wand facing her as if they were about to duel. Tonks cleared out of the way and counted down from three. Jessica prepared herself and took in a deep breath. Her mind was fully concentrated on Bill's wand, her fingers wrapped around the vines on the wooden stem of her own.

"Expelliarmus!" She spoke and a jet of light shot out from her wand. Bill's hand shook as his wand was lifted out of his hand, landing on the floor just behind him. Jessica breathed a sigh of relief.

"Nice one!" Grinned Bill, and he bent down to retrieve his wand.

"Well done, you did it!" Said Tonks praisingly as she walked back over to Jessica, "You've now completed all the charms for the second year, you've just got to keep practising them now!"

"I don't know how I'm going to remember it all," Jessica sighed as she slid her wand into the back pocket of her black jeans, "there's so much to learn."

"Eh, you'll get the hang of it eventually, by the time you get to Hogwarts you'll be a pro!"

"Yeah and give yourself a break, you've only been doing this for four days," said Bill who was now pushing the sofa back from the side of the room into its original place. 

Jessica wearily brushed her forehead and then helped Bill and Tonks put the rest of the furniture back. It didn't take long as Bill and Tonks were able to use their wands, and Jessica was excited for the day when she was able to use magic as easily as that.