The Sorting

"I'm still so sorry about the Mimbulus Mimbletonia guys, I should've said it would emit stink sap if you touched it," said Neville as he and Harry re-entered the compartment.

The girls and boys had taken it in turns to change into their robes as they were nearly at Hogwarts and the girls had just finished. This was the first time Jessica had tried on the complete uniform and it felt extremely comfy and warm, although she did feel a bit left out as she didn't have a house tie or badge yet as the others did. Just a little bit longer to wait, she thought to herself. She sat down and helped Ginny clear up the exploding snap cards that the four of them had been playing with for most of the journey. Nothing was distracting her from her nerves, and every minute that went by just made the lump in her throat larger. It was nearly nighttime now, the view barely visible out of the window, and all they could see was a blackened landscape with the lights from the carriage reflected in the glass.

She had never been this far away from home before.

"It's alright Neville, my dad says that stink sap is very beneficial for the skin," said Luna airily, her blonde hair and blue eyes accentuated by her deep navy Ravenclaw tie and hood. Everything Luna had said that afternoon had felt like a one-liner, and Jessica had found her fascinating. If most people at Hogwarts were as nice as her and Neville, she could easily see herself fitting in.

Ginny smelt her hair and nearly gagged, "Oh so I now stink of manure but at least I'll have a healthy glow."

Neville looked regretful as he sat down next to Luna, Harry sitting on Ginny's left. Jessica gave him an encouraging smile but Neville quickly looked away. It had been her fault that the plant had sprayed stink sap over everyone. She had been curious and asked Neville if she could touch it. At her touch green puss had covered everyone and everything, stinking out the entire compartment.

"Right we're here," Hermione announced as she opened up the compartment door. Her hair had been tied in a French plait and she was holding her nose at the smell. She did a double-take as she noticed them all inside, and relaxed her shoulders. "Oh sorry, Prefect duties, we've got to make sure all the first years are out first so they don't get trampled on the way to Hagrid. Ron's enjoying the power a bit too much of course...Jess, we've been told that means you too."

"What, I'm not going to the castle with you all?" Jessica asked her. She looked at Harry and Ginny who had started to snigger.

"Sorry, it's tradition," Hermione said apologetically, "everyone who's getting sorted goes on the boats with Hagrid so they walk into the Hall with everyone else already in it."

"You're kidding, Jess is going on a boat with the first years?" Harry laughed. He looked at everyone for approval but then Hermione gave him a cutting glare and he immediately stopped.

"I'd prefer to do that you know," said Luna, "or even swim, the Merpeople are always so friendly."

Merpeople? Being on a lake, at night? That didn't seem like an appealing idea. Jessica wished she had been warned about the boats before...she hadn't been on a boat in years, not after what happened the last time she was on one...

"Come on Jess, we're arriving any minute," said Hermione, squinting at the window. Jessica reluctantly got up and followed her out, saying her goodbyes to Ginny, Harry, Neville, and Luna.

"How deep is this lake Hermione," Jessica asked cautiously as she followed her down the corridor.

"The Black Lake?" Hermione asked casually looking over her shoulder, "Quite deep I think, I've only been down there once but I was under a charm so couldn't tell, why?"

Jessica whispered in her ear to conceal her secret, "I'm scared of water, I can't swim."

"Oh...' said Hermione turning around, "Well um, don't worry about it. Also, don't listen to Luna. What she says is hardly ever fact, and the Merpeople never make themselves seen."