The Protector - Part 2

Please forgive me, Jessica wished to Fred as she ran through the tunnels, forgive me for what I am about to do.

She knew she didn't have long, the curse she had put on Fred would be an easy fix once the others had caught up with him. She just hoped the time they had spent bickering hadn't made her too late.

She ran as fast as her shaking legs could take her, her heart unnerving beating hard in her chest as her footsteps echoed through the cold. Jessica tried telling her body that this was no time to be nervous but her body had seemed to have a mind of its own. Maybe it was a bad sign that her mind and heart weren't all on the same page. Now alone with her thoughts and nobody around her to protect Jessica had become doubtful and realistic. She was a schoolgirl about to approach one of the darkest wizards of all time and try to trick him, there were a million ways this could go wrong. He could suss her out immediately and kill her on the spot. He could torture her in front of everyone, or even worse torture Harry in front of him until she told the truth. He could take her but then lock her up in his dungeon to rot away like some criminal. She had to get it in her head that she wanted to do this, because if she couldn't convince herself there was no way in hell that Voldemort would ever believe her.

She wanted to do this. She wanted to do this.

She needed to do this.

She needed to do this for Fred. For George. For Harry, Hermione, and Ron. For Ginny. For Luna and Neville. For the Order. For Pansy and Theo and anyone else that was too scared to get out. For anyone who would potentially die in this war.

This was what this had all been leading up to.

Her grip around her wand in her right hand became tighter. Her legs steadied and stopped shaking. Her lips curled up into a confident smirk. She was ready to face him.

Light appeared at the end of the tunnel and her reflection on the tiles below began to become more clear with every step. She followed the trail of green until she saw an opening, and peered around the corner to see what was happening. Jessica was later than she wanted to be, but not too late yet. Dumbledore and Voldemort were dueling each other, with Harry crawling over by the fireplaces. Voldemort was viscous looking, even more now in the flesh. He looked sub-human, half-human, half-snake, and Jessica didn't bear to look at him for more than ten seconds at a time. She instead thought what would Tonks do, and how to create an element of surprise, perhaps a sneak attack from behind or run and slide to kick out his leg. None of them were great choices, but it didn't matter anyway. Before she could decide on what to do, Voldermort powerfully shouted and the panels of glass from all the ministry office's windows shattered into thousands and thousands of tiny pieces.

Jessica had to duck and hide behind the wall to avoid getting hurt, one of the shards of glass narrowly missing her right ear. There was an eruption, similar to an earthquake and she saw all the glass pieces float on their own and shoot in another direction. She quickly looked out to see where they had gone and saw that Voldermort was aiming them all towards Harry and Dumbledore.

"No," Jessica whispered to herself, "duck Harry, move!"

Dumbledore was raising his hand and as each shard of glass passed through him it changed into a fine dust, falling onto the floor. He had managed to block himself and protect Harry. Jessica had to admit, it was astounding seeing what an incredible sorcerer he was.

Voldemort smiled at Dumbledore, appearing happy at his ability of being a dueling partner, and then evaporated as Jessica saw in her vision. Everything was happening according to plan.

Jessica, now feeling safer with Voldemort gone, stepped out on the glass dust and walked forward towards the water fountain. She waited for a bit as Dumbledore tended to Harry, expecting Voldemort to appear once again, but he didn't. She waited a bit more, declared it safe, and regretful that she may have lost her chance, continued walking to Dumbledore and Harry in order to clarify the situation.