Hallway Conversations

"Did you see Potter's face when Umbridge gave him detention?" Pansy sniggered, "he was so pissed off, I wish I could've had it framed."

The first day of classes was over, and all students were now hanging out in their common rooms after dinner. Jessica was reading her potions book near the largest window in the Slytherin common room and she could overhear the other fifth-years discussing the day's events over by the sofas. She wished she could tune them out and listen to the sound of the lake outside, but they were so loud that she couldn't help but listen.

"I told you," said Draco smugly as Pansy stroked his hair, "things are going to change around here, and Father tells me that Umbridge isn't a fan of soft punishment either. He'll regret saying what he did."

Harry had gotten into an argument with Professor Umbridge during their first Defence Against The Dark Arts lesson earlier that afternoon. Umbridge had told them that they would be learning through books instead of practical means, and most of the Gryffindors had taken up a problem with it. Harry had taken the outrage a step further by actually questioning Umbridge about it, saying that if they were ever attacked they would need to have practical experience, but Umbridge had shot him straight down. Jessica had agreed with Harry, but as she was sat next to Malfoy who was relatively pleased by the whole thing, she stayed a silent ally. She had been around the Slytherins the whole day, under Draco's very watchful eye, and as soon as she could be away from them and spend some time by herself, she had jumped at the chance.

"Well at least Potter won't need milk for his cereal tomorrow then," Goyle chuckled as he shoved a chocolate frog into his mouth and placed his feet on the coffee table, "he'll just need his tears."

"Wow, how creative Greg," said Theo sarcastically, who was lounging in an armchair across from him, "that was almost funny."

"Shut up Theo," Goyle sneered.

Blaise, who had been occupied with his edition of the Daily Prophet until now, flipped the paper in half to reveal his face. "Honestly though, what do you think about us not using our wands? Doesn't that kind of miss the point? We might as well be muggles."

"Yeah, I've got to be honest, I'm not happy with all the lines that we're having to do," Crabbe huffed.

"That's because you can't write Crabbe," Draco sniggered, "even first-years have better handwriting than you."

Jessica had to stop herself from laughing as Crabbe's fists clenched in anger. He and Goyle had been given insults by the others all day, and she didn't know why they hadn't just punched one of them yet. She guessed their size didn't give them all the protection they needed, and being Draco's bodyguards faired better for them than being against him.

"I think she's great," Pansy spoke as Draco laid down on her lap, "finally a female teacher I can respect."

"I agree," said Draco, and Pansy looked delighted, "the Ministry should've intervened at Hogwarts ages ago."

It had been like this the whole day, and there was no indication that it would change. Jessica wanted to be away from them for just an hour or two just to get some space. To maybe even go in search of a friendly face. Then it hit her, Harry would be due to finish detention soon, and if she left now she might be able to catch him. She scooped through her low ponytail and carefully slid out of her chair. Keeping her head down, she took the long route amongst other Slytherins to reach the common room door.

"Where are you going, Clarke?" Draco called from across the room.

Damn it.

Clutching her book to her chest, she stopped and turned around. She thought that she would've been able to sneak out undetected if they had been indulged in themselves enough, but she was wrong. They had eyes everywhere, and Draco had some sort of sixth sense.