The Protector - Part 1

The world stopped moving all at once. She could no longer feel everyone around her, the fighting, the yelling. As Jessica and Fred ran over to Harry, time slowed so much that she couldn't feel her limbs moving in time. One of her worst fears had come to life, she knew someone had been hurt.

"What's happened?" Fred asked Remus as Jessica bent down to Harry who was still crying silently. She tried to put her arm around him but he shook her off immediately, not wanting to be touched. She understood.

"Bellatrix Lestrange," Remus panted, "she cast at Sirius and well, he fell into the veil." There was a crackle in Remus's voice. One that only one hears in heartbreak. It was in that moment Jessica realised that perhaps Sirius had meant more than just a friend to him. He was grieving hard but had to do his job in protecting Harry.

"Her own cousin?" Fred asked.

"Never his favourite," Remus replied, trying to convince himself happy with an anecdote.

Jessica tried again to comfort Harry. He let her this time. His heart beat was pounding throughout his body and Jessica felt like she was lying her head on a set of drums. It was then, when she leant against his shoulder, that she allowed herself to grieve. She had not known Sirius as long as Harry had, but they had both lost one of the only relatives that could get them totally as themselves. Jessica let out a tear, reminding herself that he would now never know that Regulus could be alive. If he had known, would his death have been that little bit less painful?

No, it definitely wouldn't have. She decided she would mention it to Harry later, but only when he could be strong enough to hear it.

"I've got to go to her," Harry sniffled angrily, his hands clutching into fists, "she needs to pay for what she did to him."

He stood up, his hand gripped to his stomach, and left Jessica crouched over on the floor. She could not escape the raging guilt consuming her body. If only she was there, if she had left Pansy and Theo quicker, she could have saved Sirius. Her necklace was more powerful than any wand.

"Harry mate you can't," said Fred sympathetically, "it's what she wants."

"Imagine if she killed George," said Harry, "or Jess, how would you feel then?"

There was a pause where Fred thought for a moment. "I...I'd probably be feeling the same as you," he replied, "I'd torture the living daylights out of her, no matter if they killed me for it."

That was all he had to say. She needed to end this. There needed to be a way out to Theo and Pansy, it was a large enough building, and this was the only chance she was going to get. The space was crawling with Death Eaters so she needed to know what was going to happen next.

Jessica grabbed Harry's sweaty hand and concentrated really hard. She focused on producing a vision, something, anything that could help her. Eventually, after nearly using all the force she had, a vision appeared. They were in the room they were now, so it could only be a couple of minutes into the future. Harry was running into the tunnels and Jessica was right behind him following. Harry was determined, running at fast pace and not looking anywhere else but forward until he reached the end and into the main hall of the ministry of magic. Emerald green tiles surrounded them from the walls to the floor, and rows of fireplaces led up to a large water fountain. No one was following them, but there was only one person in the room; a woman in a long black netted dress with wild curly black hair.

Bellatrix Lestrange.

"Crucio!" Said Harry and red sparks through out of his wand, hitting the woman down to her knees. Jessica was shocked that those words had come from Harry's mouth, but it didn't appear as though the spell had taken any real affect. Bellatrix started to taunt Harry, giggling at the fact that he hadn't been able to gather up the power to torture her fully. Jessica could see Harry struggling between what his heart wanted and what his brain was advising him, but soon enough it didn't matter. A figure appeared in black, a ghostly figure that swam around him. Emerging out of the smoke was Voldemort, a sneer plastered upon his snake-like face. He was about to speak, probably to give a speech about Harry was going to die at the hands of the dark lord, but a roaring flame behind him interrupted his performance. Dumbledore stepped coolly out of the nearest fireplace and greeted Voldemort so non-chalent that there was no flicker of fear detected.