A Night For Perfect Strangers

Music Inspiration for this chapter:

***

"Thanks for gifting me my own copy of 'Healing Through The Ages'. I'm sorry that I cannot offer anything more in return except my letters, but I appreciate you mentioning that my replies were enough in your last response.

As I sit in a house full of people who don't understand, my family being more distant than ever, I know that with you I am not truly alone. You my friend will always be near through words, even though you are so far.

You said at 12 pm tonight you will be looking up at the moon to bring in the new year, so just know that my eyes will gaze the same way.

J.C x"

As Jessica sent away the owl carrying her letter to Draco, she reflected on what had been the loneliest Christmas she had ever had. Isolated in her room, she only ever came out for bathroom breaks, and after a while, she realised that it was probably for the best. She could be with her own thoughts and didn't have to face the Order, or Fred and George, or anyone.

She didn't go down to Christmas Dinner, it was clear no one wanted her there, so it was her way of giving them all a Christmas present. Someone did put a slice of Christmas pudding outside her door, but as they didn't knock, she stepped in it on her next trip to the bathroom and got it smudged into her slippers.

Jessica just sketched the days away in her blue notebook, drawing random ideas that popped into her head and then occupied the rest of her time practising spells. She tried to animate her earrings again by attempting wandless spells but found no success as every time she did so the words of the prophecy replayed in her head.

It was safe to say she wasn't being missed either, as laughter and hurried footsteps often ran past her closed door without anyone knocking in.

The only person who bothered her was Mrs Weasley, who brought her in three meals a day, and sometimes she would bring Arthur in with her in his wheelchair. They would talk to Jessica for a short while, often to be thankful in the safety of a private space, and tried their best to make sure she still felt at home. She didn't of course, but Jessica didn't give them any attitude. They were the only people attempting to treat her normally.

The only other form of communication she had were Draco's letters, which came twice a day in the morning and evening. In written form, she had seen a different side of him. A kinder, more emotional side that she hoped she would meet in person once the term started again. She felt closer to him now than when they had been sharing the same sofa in the common room.

By the time it had gotten to 9 pm on New Year's Eve, Jessica was bored stiff. She had nothing left to do in her bedroom, and she certainly wasn't going to join in the festivities downstairs. She wished she had been able to go back to Malfoy Manor, where Draco had mentioned they were having a party. He of course invited her wanting to see her, but she had to make an excuse and say no.

But why, Jessica thought...why should she have to stay here on New Year's Eve?

She had obeyed their rules this whole week. She was due a little fun of her own.